Laptop keeps turning off.

snafu11

Solid State Member
Hello, I'm Bill.
I have been given a Toshiba L650 to fix for my sister. The problem is that it turns off just as it goes to the desktop, I took out the fan and the cooling pipes cleaned them all and then put it all back in with Arctic Silver 5.
The laptop started fine and I thought I had a win but about ten minutes later the stupid thing turned off again, it did this several times.
Has anyone had a similar problem as I am stumped, it may be that I have taken a two year break from computers and my brain just isn't working at the moment.
Any help will be appreciated.
Many thanks, regards Bill.

I worked on a HP throw away laptop that was doing the same thing. Turned out to be a bad cell in the battery.

Also try booting up into safe mode and see if it turns off.

To get to safe mode , when booting up right after your computer logo dissapears, keep pressing the F8 key on the key board and it will bring up the start up menu...then choose safe mode.

Hello, thanks for all
your fast replies, I have tried going into the safe mode with the same results, I will now try it without the battery and let you know the results.
This is one of the reasons I stay away as much as possible from laptops, they're to small and costs can be more than the laptops are worth.
Many thanks, regards Bill.

Hi again, I tried it without power, without a battery and even put in the battery out of my wife's laptop which is a L660. It still shuts down after about 5-10 minutes, I did forget to add that it makes a click sound when it shuts down and you have to wait about 15 minutes before you can start it again.
Any other ideas what it could be?
Thanks to all, regards Bill.

I know this one. If there is anything of value on that drive in the time it's running, copy it off. Drive is about to go.

Thanks Guys, I've tried new ram, diffferent ram, different slots, new HDD and a SSD but still having the same problem, I hate laptops, cheers Bill.

Back
Top Bottom