So.. How is Windows 10 going?

This past weekend I upgraded a second machine to Win 10. It is an Asus eeePC 1001PXD netbook with an Atom 455 cpu and 2GB of RAM. It was running Win 7 Starter.

The upgrade wet fine although it took more than 2 hours to complete. Once booted into Win 10, I started receiving notices about a device driver missing, please install.

I searched for a driver on-line and found that other people had this same issue and that Asus response was that they did not support Win 10 on that model so they would not provide a Win 10 compatible driver. After more research, I found that the driver was needed to support their Hotkeys service which let you use FN + one of the function keys to do things like mute sound, lower volume, raise volume, etc... All of those functions are available thru the OS so I decided I didn't need those Hotkeys so I uninstalled the Hotkeys program and now don't get bothered by those annoying notices!

Other than that, Win 10 runs very well on the machine. One nice bonus is that the upgrade took it from Win 7 Starter to Win 10 Home. A lot of people complain about Win 7 Starter due to some of it's limitations but the only thing it prevented my family from doing that they wanted to do was change the desktop wallpaper. I installed a 3rd party program that allowed the wall paper to be changed and my family was happy. After the upgrade I was able to uninstall that 3rd party program.

Found out why my laptop couldn't be fixed. The Windows store removed the program that would allow my laptop to be reset. Anyone want to get a class action lawsuit going over this crap programming?

If you're near an Office Max, they started carrying the install/recovery discs for a lot of different brands and models. Might check with them to see if they have yours or can get ahold of them.

I don't bother with recovery partitions as it just puts all the junk back on. I just blow it away and when I need to reinstall Windows I have what ever version on a USB handy with no hidden extras.

I agree with Smart Guy. A change of OS shouldn't be because it is new, it should be because it allows you to do something you couldn't before or something made quicker or easier. Quite Obviously Windows 10 does none of those things.

I wholeheartedly agree with SG and Rich-M. The 2 machines I upgraded I did just for the experience of it. Both were old netbooks that weren't being used any longer.

I have my 3 main machines, desktop with Win 7 Ult, laptop & tablet with Win 8.1 which are all working fine with their current OS so I have no plans to upgrade them to Win 10.

When I buy or build a new machine it will most likely have Win 10 on it but until then, my machines chug along just fine with their current OS.

Back
Top Bottom