You're So 2000-and-late

Starting on S754, AMD built the memory controller into the CPU if I am not mistaken, which meant memory limits was purely based on CPU and not motherboard... Maybe it took a motherboard with 8 slots to get aan 8GB limit.... Been so long... lol

We both know the 754's were screwed from the get-go. :D

They made 2GB DDR sticks but they were for servers (ECC). I remember reading articles about folks running 8GB with s939. I think the most I ran was 2x1GB in mine, though.

Like I said earlier, the motherboard has no control over memory limitations as far as capacity unless they flat out tell the system BIOS to not register above X amount per channel. The memory controller is inside the CPU, provided the board has the maximum slots available, and the manufacture laid the traces properly, and didn't tell the system to Halt if going above 4GB occured, then you could infact use 8GB.

OCZ, Crucial, and G.Skill at one time did make 2GB DDR400 modules, but, if I remember right, that was in the $150 to $200 price range at the time per module. I remember paying around $100 for a 1GB module from OCZ back during that era.

So it's all going to come down to if I can find the CPU memory limitations, which is proving difficult since it wasn't really a specification people looked at as far as the CPU back then. I guess the key issue is, 2GB modules didn't exist at the start, and the manufacture couldn't test and legally say the boards could support more. It's just like the MSI 880g-e45 motherboard I have. The manufacture lists the MAXIMUM memory as 16GB, yet I have 32GB of DDR3-1600 sitting in the board running flawlessly.

Another thing people see is the consumer boards list they don't support ECC memory, but, if the extra traces had been laid between the CPU and memory, you could throw in ECC memory on some AMD systems, as a lot of consumer AMD processors back then supported ECC.

EDIT:
Didn't see your post trotter... If I am not mistaken, all of the dual core processors for 939 supported running ECC if you had a good motherboard.

754 wasn't that bad, I had a 60% OC on air with a newcastle 2800. Northbridge fried before the CPU ever went belly-up. :)

Last edited:
Deleted the second hard drive mount and added a 120MM fan up front. It's not pretty and doesn't have to be since it'll be hidden by the front bezel.

Attachments

• Front Fan Inside.jpg
    Front Fan Inside.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Front Fan Outside.jpg
    Front Fan Outside.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 4
I think this will be the final fan. A top 120mm fan.

Attachments

• Top Fan.jpg
    Top Fan.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1
I put the old parts back in to get an idea of what the finished product will look like. Still have to get new components and shove them in there and do cable management.

Attachments

• Lit Front.jpg
    Lit Front.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Lit Side.jpg
    Lit Side.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom