Getting the most of my internet speed

ryane244

Beta member
As networking goes this should be a very simple question. I am paying for 60mbps which I have verified I get even more than that when plugged in....however what I'm getting from wireless is a fraction of that and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to bridge the gap. My desktop is in the farthest room from the router in the house. Granted I don't live in a huge house, we are talking probably 10 meters max between my router and desktop as the bird flies. I ran the following speed tests:
laptop plugged in - 65mbps
laptop - wireless - right next to router - 39mbps
laptop in far room - 31mbps
desktop in far room - 25mbps
Is this a normal loss of speed when using wireless? I'm using a 10 dollar edimax receiver in my desktop and my router is linksys e1200. Considering the speed dropped 26mbps just from going wired to wireless, range doesn't seem to be the biggest limiting factor. Input of those more knowledgeable than I will be highly appreciated!

Sounds like either the router is 2.4Ghz and only sending 54mbps max.
Or your WiFi cards in the various machines only receive 54mbps.
A hardwire connection will give faster speeds.

Time to update the wireless.

it does sound like wireless is the real limiting factor, - what speed to do you when you transfer a file from one machine to another via wireless?

Just some info from Linksys Linksys E1200 N300 Wireless Router. According to that it only has "Fast Ethernet" which is 10/100mbps so I wouldn't expect turbo speeds. Its also a entry level N300 and Seti you sir are correct it can only serve 2.4GHz WiFi. I'd also try and update the drivers.

Back
Top Bottom