ADSL modem/router to an wireless router

atomichybrid

In Runtime
Hi all,

I currently have a Belkin F9J1002v1 ADSL modem router and lately my internet connection is slow on the wireless end. I believe its the number of connections heading towards the Belkin (about 15+). My understanding is that one device cannot obviously cater to many devices at once and provide high speeds at the same time. So I believe that I can route the Belkin device to another wireless router, so that the Belkin can focus on the internet and the wireless router can focus on providing high wireless speeds.

My issue is that when reading some of my google research there is a mention of 2 DHCP and 2 NAT happening on both devices and can cause some dramatic problems. I'm not sure if this is a related issue or not, what I generally want is to make the Belkin receive the internet and have no wireless connections as it will be passed on to the wireless router.

There was a mention of bridging the modem router but I have no luck with the Belkin as the instructions seem simplistic, like there are no technicals on how to do the bridging feature.

I would like to know if this is plausible and what are some of the ways that I can go around it.

Cheers

Assuming that all of the devices will be on the same subnet, you just want to ensure that only one device is acting as a DHCP server. So if you hook up a secondary router and it's running DHCP, then disable DHCP on the modem or vice versa.

I would set it up so that the secondary router has the modem as it's default gateway. So if the ip address of the modem is 192.168.1.1, give the second router an ip of 192.168.1.2. And set it's gateway ip to that of the modem, so it can forward requests to the internet.

You also might just consider upgrading the modem to a more powerful gateway (all in one) unit. I don't really feel like 15 devices is that many, and most newer home routers should be able to handle that. It would make for a simpler setup than having multiple devices.

Thanks crazyman143,

I would like to get a powerful new router, its just that I have a secondary router already and would rather have that setup going.

So basically if the modem has DHCP disabled then it will act as a modem and the wireless router features with the device would not work? I then connect the ethernet from the Belkin to the secondary device that will have DHCP and all wireless communications can go through there.

Did I understand this correctly?

Cheers

The modem would still be able to route traffic for any devices connected to it. The only thing DHCP does it hand out IP addresses to the connecting devices. Once a device has an IP it can communicate with either the modem or the secondary router.

You could also disable wifi on the modem, if you want to be sure that nobody can connect to it. Then they'd have to connect through the second router.

Edit:

Thought I should add that since most of your devices are probably communicating over the internet rather than with each other, majority of traffic will probably still be passing through the modem. So I'm not sure you'll see a huge performance boost by doing this. But that all depends on how you use your network.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom