Laptop 2nd HDD not showing up in Windows

RavishingRocket

In Runtime
I recently updated to Windows 10 on my HP Envy dv7 laptop. I purchased a sata cable to add a 2nd HDD, but I cannot get it to show up in Windows. I don't even see it in disk management. My bios does not list my hardware, therefore I cannot tell if its even being recongized. The HDD does power on, so at least the cable/motherboard port works or at least somewhat. The HDD is formatted and contains data. The HDD does show up in windows if I remove it and connect it using my USB adapter. I have multiple extra HDD laying around and all do not show in Windows connecting it to the motherboard. What gives?

Check the bios and see if it's showing there in the device list. The drive does need to be initialized in windows though. It's odd it's not showing up.
If you have the HP diag programs on there you could try running those. I find they help sometimes when all else fails.

Do you recall if you were able to see the drive before doing the win 10 upgrade? Check device manager too, see if it shows up there. You could also try uninstalling the storage controller drivers in device manager and reboot.

Check the bios and see if it's showing there in the device list. The drive does need to be initialized in windows though. It's odd it's not showing up.
If you have the HP diag programs on there you could try running those. I find they help sometimes when all else fails.

My bios does not have a device list

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Do you recall if you were able to see the drive before doing the win 10 upgrade? Check device manager too, see if it shows up there. You could also try uninstalling the storage controller drivers in device manager and reboot.

I did not install the drive until after the Win10 upgrade. It does not show up in device manager either. I will try the storage drivers

You'd probably need to go into disk management and check if its showing there. Then probably initialize it.

Back
Top Bottom