Guys stop and read this

setishock

Wizard of Wires
I am retired and live on a VA pension. They pushed moving accounts from paper checks to debit cards a while back. Been a couple of years ago I think.
I went along with it and have been a pretty happy card user. No problems until the 3rd of this month.

On the 3rd some jackass, armed with my card numbers, placed an order for a high end, high dollar router and two gaming mice. The router costs $299.99 and the mice are $79.99 each. Total with tax is $487.57. That's fucked up.

I was unaware until I placed an order with Super Bright Leds for $90.80 on the 4th. I was checking my card balance and found the large charge amount in the list of charges. I called the card company and was given the total on the charge and where it was made. I told them I didn't do that and to put the money back on my card. Well they couldn't, well not right then any way. The gal I talked to was nice but they have procedures they have to go through.

I followed up with a call to office depot's account receivables office. The gal I talked to, after providing enough information to prove I owned the card, canceled the order and passed the information to their security department. She gave me a order canceled number for my reference. She stated the order had not been shipped and my money should be back on my card in 3 to 5 days. And it was.

I thought this matter had been put to bed but boy was I wrong. I was going to place a 50 dollar order with NewEgg for a GPU cooler and called the automated card information number. It said I have $2.00 dollar balance on my account. Went ballistic is not the words I would use to describe what happened. I woke my neighbors up.

Needless to say I called the help desk and went totally shit house rat crazy. The poor guy on the phone maintained his cool while I promptly lost my composure. I gave him all the information to identify myself and gave him the Readers Digest version of what happened to start with and what happened today. He issued a new card and passed me to a level 2 operator. We got the ball rolling on a dispute which could take up to 90 days to get resolved.
Yes I said 90 days.

Figures that office depot's accounts receivable's office is closed until Monday. I'm here to tell ya, the person I speak to had better have a seatbelt on. I'm going to make it clear they had better put my money back on my card pronto or face charges of accessory to credit card fraud.

By the way the bastard's name is:
Adam Marks and he lives in Detroit. office depot sent me a copy of the order that has his name, address, and what the little shit bought. And what it cost.

Adam, you little bastard, I hope you're enjoying your ill gotten goods. You're going down you little punk bastard. Hell will be a vacation resort compared to where you're going to wind up when I get through with you in a court room.
I'm not going to lay a hand on you although I could. But I'd rather you sit for 15 years in a small room and reflect on what you did to me. You picked the wrong person to fuck with.

Why don't they required a PIN for Credit/ATM card purchases? That should deter thieves. My debit card has a PIN.

Was that an online purchase?

Why don't they required a PIN for Credit/ATM card purchases? That should deter thieves. My debit card has a PIN.

Was that an online purchase?
My banks Visa Debit card has a PIN for the ATMs, and a 3 or 4 number code on the back for online purchases.

Whoever got the OP's card details, must have been able to have a good look at it.

@ Celery
Apparently the scan of the card to grab the data also nabbed the CVV numbers. It was an online purchase. So that's all they needed.

@Draygoes
Thanks. Although this event has left me having to go in low power mode, I'm ok. I can tab my meals at the café until next month when the next deposit comes in. So I won't go hungry.

Look guys all of you that use debit and credit cards are in danger of getting your numbers lifted. The help desk person at the card company was telling me there's a new tech out there that can scan a card with out a chip just a regular stripe with out having to touch it. He's speculating some one I walked by had one of these scanners on them and nabbed my card data.
Since I don't drive and getting a ride is difficult at best, that narrows down the possibilities of where it happened.

I got the date wrong for the SBL purchase because that's what tipped me off to what happened. I checked the SBL invoice and I made the order with them on the 1st. The order got to me on the 3rd. The same day I got slapped with the OD charge. I always check the card when a package comes in to make sure they got their money and see what the balance is on the card.
It's sad that people do stupid things like this. They have no morals or concerns that they may wind up in prison for a long while. In the mean time the person they robbed has to jump through so many hoops to recover their money. And people like me who are on a fixed income have to do with out or run in a low power mode to get by until the next deposit.

I see a metal wallet in my future and making sure where ever I use my card has decent security on their card systems.

I heard about that walk by scanning. Now we have sleeves/wallets to prevent that.

That's why I said a metal wallet is in the works. For now it's going to be wrapped in heavy foil and only taken out when I use it.

...just to throw some information out so myths can stop once and for all.

You have three types of plastic, regular, chipped, and RFID... The chipped cards have to PHYSICALLY connect to the scanner, they are VERY similar to a SIM card in your phone, and you can not just, walk next to them. There has to be an electrical contact with such cards.

Now, if you have one of the rarer types that use an RFID chip, then you are screwed left and right as anyone can be with in a short distance and get the basic information. Seriously, if you have one of these, you are better off shredding it up. These cards are beyond rare, and in all honesty, they are so rare, I doubt any one is going to be sitting in the mall scanning for such cards like the news wants to make people think.

However... There are new laws going into effect that require all Debit Cards (don't know about credit ones for sure) to have Chip-n-Pin as a minimum, some banks are going as far as Chip-n-Pin-Sig.

In all honesty, I would call the institution that handles your card, and demand they put a block on any and all CNP transactions. Next, I would look into getting a pre-paid debit card that you can off-load your money onto for online only orders, and only offload what is needed to that card for online orders.

Also, just saying, chipped cards are far safer than traditional cards... I know here with my bank, if the card is chipped, you have to go through extra online processing to PROVE with out a doubt that you are the one doing the payment and not someone that just has all the numbers listed on the plastic.

Are you positive this card was not one of the millions that was stolen back in the last few years with all these companies having records stolen?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom