Cloud Storage Questions

I have Google Drive, One Drive and Dropbox but I never use it. Since I have an Office 365 subscription and get 1TB of storage I am mainly using that.

I Have google drive now.

I have a few questions.

1-Once you use up any of the free 15 GB can you for example erase some files and put new ones on and have it still be free? as long as you don't have more than 15 GB of files at one time? (Or is it like once you've loaded 15 GB worth of files there will be no further free GBs even if you erase some files to stay under 15 GB?)

2-Is there any trial period that will end?

3-How private is it,who can see your files?

4-If you logout of your google/gmail account does that mean subsequent users of the computer have no way of seeing or accessing your files?

5-are the green checkmarks to conferm the file is on the google drive cloud on line?

Update-
on my computer "desktop/bar" there is a google drive icon, even when I'm not logged into my google account or in a browser, I can click this icon and it shows the downloads I just did and above that is "visit google drive on the web" and "open google drive folder". when I go to the "google drive folder" it opens a window on my "desktop" that has all the videos,pictuers and files that I put in the google drive. they are visible and accessible to anyone who comes along.

why are those there? What is this folder?

Is the "google drive folder" just to show you what you stored in the on line google drive cloud?

Can I erase the stuff on this folder with out it being erased off the google drive online cloud and without it erasing the original files stored elswhere on my compuer?

I thought the files where suposed to be copyed into google drive olny on line.
not visible and accessable from your desktop even when logged out of google.

Last edited:
This should help you:
https://support.google.com/drive#topic=14940

Everything below is based on my experience using Drive.

1 - As long as you don't hit the limit, Google Drive will be free. It doesn't matter what files are there, as long as they are less than 15GB. Keep in mind, that Gmail messages and attachments count towards that quota. You can check your usage by accessing Google Drive online.

2 - I don't think it's a "trial period". If it is, 5 years is a hell of a trial.

3 - Theoretically, only you, unless you share them with others. I say theoretically, because the files are on a computer that isn't yours and connected to the Internet.

4 - Logging out of the Google account on the drive agent, not the web browser, will only stop drive from syncing. It will not make the local files in the drive folder inaccessible. That means yes, if someone else uses your computer, they can access your files that are locally in drive. It just won't sync to the cloud.

Signing out of google in your web browser has no effect on the drive agent running on your computer.

5 - Yes

The Google Drive Folder is a folder on your local PC which syncs to Google Drive on the web. Anything you place in there is uploaded to the cloud. If you delete files from that folder, they also get deleted from the cloud.

Now let's say you have "document.docx" in your Google Drive folder and a copy on your desktop. Those are two separate, independent copies of the same file. Changes made to one are not reflected in the other. If you delete the one in your Google Drive folder, the one on your desktop will not be deleted. The reverse is also true.

As I said before, logging out of Google via the web browser has no effect on Drive. If you disconnect your Google account from the Drive app on your computer, then the Google Drive folder stops syncing with the cloud. The files on your PC are not deleted or otherwise made inaccessible.

Hope this helps.

The Google Drive Folder is a folder on your local PC which syncs to Google Drive on the web. Anything you place in there is uploaded to the cloud. If you delete files from that folder, they also get deleted from the cloud.

Just a comment about this statement. If you go into Preferences of the Drive client on your computer, there is a setting that lets you tell Drive which folders to sync to the local computer. That lets you control which files get downloaded from the the cloud to the computer. If you have 5GB of data that you just want to store and not edit or update for 5 yrs then you would probably not want to sync that folder.

This setting is very helpful if you have a computer that doesn't have a lot of free space available. You could set that up to sync only your most essential files yet not sync large files such as videos you might have stored in the cloud.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the info OhSnapWord and strollin.

So there is a way to store files on the google drive cloud without them being on your computer?

One of the reasons I want google drive cloud storage is to free up space on my computer.
I also want to store files away from prying eyes, as I frequently (and mostly) access the internet from other peoples computers and from public computers in libraries,schools and community centers.

If the files on the google drive cloud must remain visible, accessible, and stored on any of the physical computers that I use then it would defeat the purpose of online cloud storage when it comes to privacy and freeing up space.

Last edited:
All of the three that I use (Drive, OneDrive and DropBox) have the ability for you to specify which folders get synced to your computer. Files on the cloud are not accessible by others unless you specifically share them or put them into a Public folder.

I don't understand why, since they are free to join, you don't just pick one and try it. You could have easily had all of your answers by now.

When you use other than your own computer to download and store files on your cloud account, you are taking a major risk. If you don't want people to see what you have then don't use other's computer and damn sure don't do it on public systems. It's foolhardy at best.

So there is a way to store files on the google drive cloud without them being on your computer?

Yes you can without needing the Drive client installed. When you are in the web interface click on "My Drive" & you'll see a drop down list of options to upload a single file or folder.

0ZfdsMy.png

I have google drive now and have tested it by storing some pictures on it.
I have noticed that when you unsync all your folders any random person can turn it back on, how dose it even know to get back on YOUR accounts syncing?

I have also noticed that on your computer when you click the google drive icon then go to "preferences" then go to "account" there is a button that says "disconnect account".
what does "disconnect account" mean?
will this sanitize your computer of your gmail name? Will it make it so people cant re-sync your files from the sync folder?

Is there any way to completely remove google drive from your computer and completely sanitize your computer of any trace of your gmail name and files saved on google drive? While still using and storing on google drive online only?

can you access google drive only online?

Also what if you do go to a public library and for example view your files and or download them onto a flashdrive? Once you logout and delete history will other people be able to see or access your files,account or see your gmail name on that computer?

Back
Top Bottom