Personal Bios

Hi all.
Okay seeing as we are all introducing ourselves here goes.
My name is Pete (Peter but that's what my mother calls me when she is mad at me.) I am 65 and yes my mother still gets mad at me and calls me Peter, she is 85. Anyway I joined the Brit army when I was 15 way back in 66. We have an apprenticeship scheme in our armed forces although the joining age is now higher. I became a communications technician looking after and setting up various HF and VHF communications equipments that were in use in the British armed forces at that time. I was hugely lucky in my army career because, although a did serve abroad, I didn't have to fire my weapon in anger during my 12 years in the armed forces. My two tours of duty were basically a 4 year holiday each time. I thoroughly enjoyed my army career but decided that it was time to come out because I had two children coming up to school age and I thought that it wasn't a good idea to be carting them around the world. In retrospect that was probably a bad decision.

After I came out of the army I worked for the Directorate of Telecommunications, (which was a government department untill Maggie Thatcher got her hands on it and shut it down) procuring, installing and repairing the communications equipments used by the emergency services over here in the UK. I took early retirement when I was 55 from The Directorate but I carried on working with and building/repairing computers up until the present day. Whilst I am an electronics engineer everything I know about computers has been self taught from pc mags and forums like this one.

As I have said I am 65 years of age or at least I will be in December. I am married and I have two grown up children, seven grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren. Yeah yeah I know I am far to young to have grandkids leave alone greatgrandkids but there you have it LOL. I have a cabin cruiser on the inland waterways (canal system) of the UK. This is my hobby and whilst I do use my it most of the enjoyment I get from my boat is maintaining it and improving it.

I don't post on here much, or on any other of the forums that I am on for that matter, but I do read and enjoy all the forums that I am on every day. I do get a bit fed up of seeing forumites posting negative posts especially when those posts directly attack other members. That doesn't happen a lot on this forum but one of the boating forums I am on it does happen a lot. One of the downsides of this sort of behaviour on any forum is that a large number of potential posters will not post for fear of being attacked on the forum. I do not take part in any of these spats on any of the forums that I am on and I only post to either ask advice or give advice if I can

Well thats me over to the rest of you.

Pete

It's really interesting reading about you all! We seem to have a massive spread of cultures, ages, situations, and I think it's brilliant that we're all able to share a common interest on the forum! :)

On the cartoon topic... I'm only 20 but the cartoons I still think of are Bugs Bunny, Popeye and the like... good cartoons are timeless ;)

The clangers gives them a good run for their money!

Thanks for the post about where some of the forum members went, quite a nice read, and to hear that some of you keep in contact is brilliant, maybe you can get them posting here again?!

EDIT: The post about where the other forum members went wasn't on this thread... my bad lol

My name is Brandon. I am 20, Born in Hobart in Tasmania and grew up in a little town called New Norfolk, I've moved fair few times but now reside in a suburb called Risdon Vale which is very close to Hobart. I am 1 of 2 sets of twins and have a twin sister.

I've studied IT since my last year of high school, throughout college, last and this year. I am now studying Certificate 2 in Business for something different. Unfortunately I haven't been so lucky with getting a job as I have a disability called Asperger's which is on the Autism spectrum but thankfully I am not badly affected and quite lucky but it makes it a bit harder but I am determined to get a job. For the last year I've been helping my Mum with cleaning and her this year cleaning through her business doing the occasional bond clean and sometimes a full days work.

I hated when it people walked up and asked Mum if we were identical. Obviously we are not but apparently boy and girl twins can be identical in some ways..

Very interesting about how many twins we have.

I am also a twin but my twin died in the womb and was never born.

My wife and I had twin daughters that were born 13 weeks premature. We lost one of them when she was just 1 month old. The other just celebrated her 26th birthday.

I feel like we're at an AA meeting. Hi my name is... Ok I'm game but you don't get everything.

I was born in Atlanta. Raised in Marietta just 10 miles north. My dad was employed by Lockheed when it was still just Lockheed. Mum was a teacher of modern ceramics. She hooked a cushy job of going around teaching folks not only how to mold but paint them and how to use a kiln. Dad thought himself as a genius. I thought he was just nuts. So did mum.
He broke my nose on a fairly regular basis until mum ran him through with a kitchen knife. The cops refused to make a case and the whole thing was written off as a mother protecting her child. Dad spent some time recovering so I got to breath easy for a while. I guess mum having friends that were cops and judges helped out with that.

Sis got a scholarship and hauled ass. Mum divorced the old bastard and took off. I mercifully got my draft notice and I hauled ass too. And that was the beginning of a whole new life for me. Mum was English while dad was German. World War 2 never ended in our house.

My childhood got me started down the path of darkness and the military reinforced that. I now have a lot of the "toys" I should had growing up but dad was too fucking self centered to care about his kids. I fly my models, build computers, and take pictures until I wear out the SD chip. I should own stock in Mallory that makes Copper Top batteries. God knows I go through my share of them.
I'm diabetic with high blood pressure, and cholesterol that is out of this world. I'm on meds for them. I drink Monster Energy drinks by the gallon. They should come as a IV kit. Also lots of coffee.

Any questions? No? Ok meeting adjourned.

I feel like we're at an AA meeting. Hi my name is... Ok I'm game but you don't get everything.

I was born in Atlanta. Raised in Marietta just 10 miles north. My dad was employed by Lockheed when it was still just Lockheed. Mum was a teacher of modern ceramics. She hooked a cushy job of going around teaching folks not only how to mold but paint them and how to use a kiln. Dad thought himself as a genius. I thought he was just nuts. So did mum.
He broke my nose on a fairly regular basis until mum ran him through with a kitchen knife. The cops refused to make a case and the whole thing was written off as a mother protecting her child. Dad spent some time recovering so I got to breath easy for a while. I guess mum having friends that were cops and judges helped out with that.

Sis got a scholarship and hauled ass. Mum divorced the old bastard and took off. I mercifully got my draft notice and I hauled ass too. And that was the beginning of a whole new life for me. Mum was English while dad was German. World War 2 never ended in our house.

My childhood got me started down the path of darkness and the military reinforced that. I now have a lot of the "toys" I should had growing up but dad was too fucking self centered to care about his kids. I fly my models, build computers, and take pictures until I wear out the SD chip. I should own stock in Mallory that makes Copper Top batteries. God knows I go through my share of them.
I'm diabetic with high blood pressure, and cholesterol that is out of this world. I'm on meds for them. I drink Monster Energy drinks by the gallon. They should come as a IV kit. Also lots of coffee.

Any questions? No? Ok meeting adjourned.

Best post yet. My dad is quite similar, self centered. Hands out to you man :cool:

Back
Top Bottom