Does anyone study selfe defence?

No problem, I'll respond to that.

The Chinese came up with the crossbow as a weapon for the common soldier. Using a full bow was difficult in that it required more upper body strength to pull back the string and make accurate shots. Being able to use a full bow was relegated to an elite group. As for cocking the crossbow, you put one foot on the bow and pull the string back with both hands until it's past the latch and let go. The string sits on the latch ready to fire.
The bolt is smaller but far more accurate than a full arrow which will bend along its shaft in flight. The bolt does not do that. The downside of a bolt is its range. About 50 meters is as far as you want to try for.

The crossbow can be fired from a prone position like a rifle. And it is so quiet.
I had 2 of them made for me by a archer in Brazil. One scaled down and the other full sized. The smaller I sent home. The full size I used on missions if it fit the job. Otherwise I wild boar hunted with it. We ate good.
Thank you for your answers. I had no idea that it was used in Nam, but it does make sense.

Your shots would cause most others to tremble. I appricate what you did, but I must ask one more question. How many years did you serve?

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

*GULP*
An... an ass... assassin :eek:
My uncle was pretty much the same, but he used a rifle. In fact, he taught me how to fire one.
50 yards was about my limate. After that, I lost grouping.

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 AM ----------

Hold on a sec. Is seti actually serious about his comment on killing people quickly and quietly?
Why would he not be?

I was in 10 years. I would have stayed for a while longer but I got tagged for a psychological profile and that was the end of that. I have been diagnosed with PTSD. I was getting counseling for a while but managed to work things out on my own. I still have moments when people reach for me or just wave their arms around that I have to keep a tight rein on my impulses.

I was in 10 years. I would have stayed for a while longer but I got tagged for a psychological profile and that was the end of that. I have been diagnosed with PTSD. I was getting counseling for a while but managed to work things out on my own. I still have moments when people reach for me or just wave their arms around that I have to keep a tight rein on my impulses.
I guess that I dont have to tell you to be careful. This many years, you have the experiance.

I know someone whom served and now treats PTSD patients. If you ever wish to chat with him, I can send you his FB contact info through PM.

And wow! 10 years!
I am still ashamed that I could not follow in my family's footsteps. By the time that I tried, I couldnt pass the eye exam. Although I know why now, at the time I felt like I had failed. They may have saved my life.

I'm glad my hearing impairments disqualified me from the draft in 68. I lost a lot of friends in the Nam war.

I'm glad my hearing impairments disqualified me from the draft in 68. I lost a lot of friends in the Nam war.
I wanted to join as soon as I was of age. The war I wanted to fight in was against the Taliban. I had planned to make my family proud, and help fight against those that did so much dammage to their own people. Being in the 6th grade when 9/11 happened, and because of that knowledge, I felt that it was the correct move. I failed the eye test, but that did not stop me from trying one more time. They didnt even let me have a second chance.

Back
Top Bottom