DVD Drive Trouble

BK_123

Golden Master
Hey guys. So yesterday I brought a new DVD, got home and decided to play it on my laptop but it won't. Its making a loud noise like its trying to read the data but Windows says no disc is inserted.

Hi BK! That's not that unusual. I really hate lap top DVD drives. Mine has always given me problems. Mine will read but it has stopped writing. Do you have a different DVD drive you can try it on to prove it's not the DVD drive and maybe a bad DVD??
Is is a music or video DVD?
Gary!

If it's from out of your zone it won't play. I'd not change the zone on the drive as you only get 5 changes allowed.

Wow! Hi Bk ! Never heard about being out of the Zone before . That's new to me!
I'll watch and learn some thing! How do you change the Zone?? Also why are there only 5 changes allowed??
Gary!

Hi friend! You're above of my pay grade! I have no clue what region 4 means!
How did you find that out. What did you Goggle to find that out!
Thanks!
Gary!

Because of geo-political, and religious reasons some movies are not allowed to be shown to the indigenous citizens. So to help out with that DVD drive makers along with DVD movie houses, divided the world in to 5 regions. (I called them zones tonight because it slipped my mind as to what the official term is. BK got it though.)
What happens is the DVD movies are encoded with a region code that passes that on to the optical drive. If the regions match, the movie plays. If they don't match the movie doesn't play.
For some reason the optical drive can only have the region code changed 5 times. Most likely a way to defeat people getting out of region movies and just flipping the region code to watch them. I'm sure by now some one has figured out how to cheat that. But how is not for discussion here.

Last edited:
OK Thanks BK. I'm not a movie watcher and don't ever remember watching one on my Lap top. I had never heard of that and now I know.

Back
Top Bottom