Does anyone study selfe defence?

Luckily, I have no need to protect myself since I don't frequent places where protection is needed.
Hi strollin! I guess you don't go to many places. In the USA you can't even go to church or a movie without the fear of a maniac threatening your life. I would love to know more about self defense, but I'm to dang old and I bruise very easily.
I'm hoping one of you young dudes are around when the time comes to take one of these maniacs out. LOL
Gary!
PS I spent 18 months in Okinawa! USAF. Electrician on a C130 Hercules!

When it comes to street fighting you're better off as a boxer than a martial artist.

I've thought of learning kick boxing long ago.

I have not been in a fight sense highschool, and those fights where because I was the little guy plus defending Cynthia. (I had no choice but to fight when idiots decided to hit me in the back of the head...)

There was only one time that I can remember being in a real fight that I started. 4 Guys beat cynthia down. Now, anyone whom knows the arts and knows that movies are not real will know that I did not attack all four at once. Cynthia did not want to tell me whom had hurt her, so I had to do some listening. The leader of the attack shoved a small metal object in her bike wheel, so that was who I was after first. I found a place in the school that there where no cameras (hard to do), kicked him right in the marbles, and hit him with all of my ability.
I never got the chance to return the favor to the other three, but I am pretty sure that even they learned somthing. Well, I hope that they did.

These days I spend my time prepairing for the fight that will never happen.

I also enjoy sparing. It takes thought, and restraint to be able to spar without protective gear.

I took Isshin-Ryu karate as an early teen. 35 years seems to have dulled my reflexes... That and the [mumblemumble] pounds I gained, and the busted up knees. I would love to be able to get back into it one day.

Hi strollin! I guess you don't go to many places. In the USA you can't even go to church or a movie without the fear of a maniac threatening your life. ...
I go plenty of places, haven't encountered any maniacs yet. My guess is that you haven't either. The odds of actually encountering one of those maniacs is very low. You're actually in far more danger while driving in your car to church or a movie.

A true practitioner of the arts is too humble to discuss his abilities. But I'll give you this much.

It's not all the fancy kicks or punches that get the job done. It takes far too long to wear a person down. It's knowing where to engage some one. There are nerve contact points all over the human body. Any one can stop, inflict indescribable pain, maim them for life, or kill them in an instant. You do not want a fight to be a dragged out event but to be quick and decisive. The target must be neutralized in as short a time as possible.
All this screaming, waving your arms and legs about does is expend energy. Quick and decisive is the only way to be victorious. Step in to your target with out hesitation and neutralize them.

A true practitioner of the arts is too humble to discuss his abilities. But I'll give you this much.

It's not all the fancy kicks or punches that get the job done. It takes far too long to wear a person down. It's knowing where to engage some one. There are nerve contact points all over the human body. Any one can stop, inflict indescribable pain, maim them for life, or kill them in an instant. You do not want a fight to be a dragged out event but to be quick and decisive. The target must be neutralized in as short a time as possible.
All this screaming, waving your arms and legs about does is expend energy. Quick and decisive is the only way to be victorious. Step in to your target with out hesitation and neutralize them.

Yep, my 40 will do that very quickly. :D

There is nothing here that I disagree with. As for a ture practitioner being humble, well yeah. I do not talk about this to too many people, I just thought I could trust you guys enough to talk about this with. And it was a fair question...

Show-offs :D

Erm, we're friends, aren't we :hide:
Of course we are friends LOL :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom