We are in a rut

Ok then let's take this up a notch.
What kills you on your power bill is the surges when things turn on and off. Take your refrigerator for example. When it cycles on the starter cap on the compressor motor and the circulating fan have to charge up and then discharge to bump the motors over and get them running. Your air conditioner is another villain in this scenario. Same thing as your fridge just on a larger scale. Your TV is another. Modern flat screen or old tube type, there's a nasty surge when you turn it on.

High current draw devices have to be setup or programmed to only come on when absolutely needed. Your fridge is getting empty? If the contents can go with a higher temp, set it up a notch or two and don't be running in and out of it so much. Keep the cold in the box not in the room. Your AC can be set up a notch or two and your skin won't pay much mind to it being a tad warmer. Depending on the season of course, but you get the idea. (In the winter months>) Program it to roll back the temp when you're under the comforter. Your body heat will keep you warm at night and even more if you have company. Set it to roll up an hour before you normally get up so your house is all comfy. And don't be running in and out the door making it run all the time.

There's other things you can do to conserve on your power bill which are not major pains in the gazootenblatz. Use gas stoves for one. Besides gas cooks more evenly and the heat is gone when you turn the burner off.

Ok so you take all these savings on your power bill and apply them to leaving your computer running. :lol:

Well, that's one way of doing it Seti :D

I have a question for you guys.
Do you remember when you were a kid and you thought it was funny cutting cables in half? No?
Well apparently some do.

I got called up to the disco room because the computer that i just gave them last Friday didn't work. It's in a building beside the school. They have their own budget and couldn't afford a computer for playing music on youtube and spotify (they have CD's but they are getting outdated), so i gave them one for free. It's old, but it works fine.

The computer said it couldn't find ether the harddrive or CD drive. So i opened it up and saw some power cables cut in half.

That's the thanks i am given for giving them a PC.
The computer have only been installed for 3 days before this happened.
I can solder them back together, but still. It's annoying.

20150901_121103.jpg
[/url]
post images[/IMG]

Well here she is all buttered up and ready to bake. You wouldn't believe what I used to smear the paste around with. Don't ask. But it worked pretty good.

attachment.php

Are you serious? You used at least 2 or 3 times as much thermal paste as recommended. Since you have decent temps I guess it's a wash but you might get even better temps if you used less paste.

In the case of thermal paste, more does not mean better. You want a very thin layer in order to aid heat transfer.

Typically you should only put a small bead in the center of the cpu then let it spread itself when the heatsink is applied. See this: http://www.wikihow.com/Apply-Thermal-Paste

Last edited:
True. The purpose of the thermal paste is to fill in the nooks and crannies of the surfaces so they'll have more mating surfaces for better heat transfer.

@BE, always a rotten apple to spoil everything for everybody.

Last edited:
Those were some pretty cool photos, did you say you were using a camera from RC planes? Pictures are one of the best way guys like me learn. I restore vintage machinery and every project I have a camera there on the bench recording every step. Not only to educate others, but it comes in real handy if I forget where part A came from or how Part C was mounted to Part D. Anyways, keep posting those pics.

Thanks for the kudos.
Yeah since I'm not flying due to the heat and humidity, I thought I'd put it to good use. The camera is a CS mount type and I went nuts buying lenses for it. The one in the pic where you can see it, is a 2.8 to 12mm F1.4 1/3" CS lens. The camera is a Sony 1/3" color CCD type with 700TVL horizontal lines. NTSC and runs off 12volts. I've had it run on 9 volts before but the auto iris lens was struggling to keep up. It also has a built in on screen display for setting it up and putting text on the image. Got 2 of them and 7 assorted lens for under $200.00usd.

The camera is recorded by a pocket DVR that was $114.00usd. It uses a SD card and the battery holds up for hours. It's max frame rate is 30 frames per second. I'd like to find one in that price range that's 60 frames per second. I don't need 2 or 4 k HD. Not for what I do with it.

And I have a cool Fuji DSLR bridge camera. It doesn't like florescent lighting worth a damn and LED lighting that is controlled by PWM, drives it nuts.
I'm working on getting my pad converted over to all LED lighting so I'm going to have to go another route to be able to dim the lights.

Last edited:
BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRR DAMN! The room ambient temp was 60F.
The system was reporting 70F across the board. Not too shabby on air cool.

attachment.php

Hey seti! I don't think you're temps are all that great. LOL
Take a look at my Toshiba lappy temps. My Toshiba has always ran like this and I haven't cleaned the vents in 3 years. LOL
PS You are making a great impression on Techist forum. You are doing well there. Glad to see you posting on Techist! I wish more CF members would start being active on Techist!!
Gary!!

Attachments

• Capture48.jpg
    Capture48.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom