Domain user profile folders show up as username and NOT username.domainname

Jake22

Baseband Member
I created a new domain user account through Active Directory on Windows Server 2012 R2. Whenever I log into ANY of my domain-joined PCs (all running windows 7 pro 64-bit) with my domain account, it prepares my new desktop and I get in just fine. Then, I navigate to my user profile folder and find that it's named username like it's a local account instead of username.domainname. In the past, I always see it named username.domainname. Also, the account isn't showing up in the user accounts list. Why is this happening??

Last edited:
the default is just accountname, not accountname.domainname

you'll only see accountname.domain name when "account name" already exists.

most often this means you'll have a folder for administrator (local admin) and administrator.domain (for domain admin)

sometimes you'll have been using a PC and have your local profile for the local user that you were (e.g. bob) then you setup the domain after that, and create a domain user with the same name, but on the domain, hence when you login, you can't create c:\users\bob as a new folder as it already exists, so instead it is renamed to c:\users\bob.domainname

if you already have that (perhaps as you have a previous installation of the domain and hence same usernames but different SIDs) you'll get username.domainname.001

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Sorry about that. I'm new to servers this year.

Back
Top Bottom