What's the best way to download videos of youtube?

To watch the downloaded videos, you'll need players that support the specific formats of the files. Usually YTube, and other streaming services, use the formats .flv and .mp4 which are supported by known players like Media Player Classic and VLC.

Depending on the OS, external plugins could be required.

I second this on Media Player Classic. Used VLC for a long time, then started to notice mpc playing the few things that VLC still could not. mpc is my go to now.

Thanks.

More follow up questions-

Can you drag and drop the video in to a flashdrive then watch it on a different computer/laptop from the flashdrive (without loading it onto the other computer/laptop)? without any thing bad happening?

Once you download it, the OS considers it just another file. You can copy and paste or drag and drop. Either way works.
As for playing it on another computer, if it has a player with the right codecs it should play.

I use Internet Download Manager for that and it works flawlessly and extra easily to download any quality available. The quality depends on the original upload.

There are some free download managers to do that, like EagleGet and some plugins like DownThemAll for Firefox, but I didn't find them as good as IDM, yet good enough, specially DTA for Firefox.

I use IDM too and does a great job.

I second this on Media Player Classic. Used VLC for a long time, then started to notice mpc playing the few things that VLC still could not. mpc is my go to now.

Got nothing against VLc, I just don't find it as user friendly as MPC (and derivations). I'm a MPC guy :D

Thanks.

More follow up questions-

Can you drag and drop the video in to a flashdrive then watch it on a different computer/laptop from the flashdrive (without loading it onto the other computer/laptop)? without any thing bad happening?
I'd use the term "copy" instead of "drag and drop" here. I second Seti's reply.

I use IDM too and does a great job.
Right on :D

I now successful have downloaded some videos in 720p mp4. on the firefox downloader.

Now there is a new problem ,some videos won't download.
they say 0 bytes and show up on my computer but when I go to play them nothing is there. The music videos that do this are all from the same youtube account.

Is it possible that they can somehow block their youtube videos from being downloaded on the firefox downloader?

I fear more are like this.

I think there's something wrong?

PS.
I have only gotten a chance to try this twice because our internet provider went out of business the day after I downloaded the first two videos and now im on some kinda wifi right now.

PS.
plus there's no option for 480p when that is the highest some videos are available.

Last edited:
Try again with the videos that don't download, preferably after refreshing the page. Sometimes downloaders don't catch them.

If a specific quality does not show, manually change the quality from the Youtube player and let the video play a little. This helps the downloader to recognize streams it could have missed.

All the videos from avex don't download I've tried lots of avex videos, they must have found a way to make there youtube videos undownloadable.
The videos finish downloading to your computer in one second, the titles are there on you computer but they are 0 bytes and no video will play.

some other acounts are the same way, all videos on there acounts wont download .
lots of videos successfully have downloaded but on certain accounts like avex all of their videos wont

I wonder if this is for all downloaders or just firefox?

can anyone solve this mystery?

If any of you can successfully download any youtube videos from avex with firefox, then my hats off to you

Back
Top Bottom