no speakers or headphones are plugged in error

jarlmaster

In Runtime
The title is self explanatory but suddenly I've been getting this error and I get no sound out of my laptop, whether it be through the internal speakers or through my set of external speakers. Headphones don't work either. However if I plug the laptop into my tv, I get sound.

I have tried reinstalling the realtek HD audio drivers, adding legacy hardware in device manager, and letting windows reinstall the drivers it feels I need (deleting the high definition audio device in device manager) and restarting but nothing has worked.

My sound drivers/onboard sound has been wonky the last few days anyway so I've ordered a usb to 3.5mm adapter which should solve the problem. I just figured I'd post here and see what you guys think.

Go to your sound device and set it as default. Right click on speaker icon and select playback devices.

Last edited:
There is no speaker icon. I am now starting to wonder if there is a driver conflict. I booted up today and my speakers were working (with realtek HD audio showing up) but my wireless adapter wasn't and it didn't show up in device manager. A reboot later and the wireless adapter was once again working but the speakers weren't. Ugh this is so frustrating. Any suggestions?

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Update. I was looking through MSconfig and saw that under services it says realtek audio service start pending. There is my issue I think. How do I fix that?

That makes me wonder if they're trying to use the same interrupts. In that case it'll be the drivers forcing it. I'd try a different version of the drivers.

If it says pending then something might have set it to manual. It should be set to automatic.

DO NOT edit the services from msconfig. Just don't.
Go to the services list and look down the list until you see the service in question. Click on it to highlight it. In the left column you should see how it's set to start up. If it's not running you need to set it to automatic. Double click on the highlighted service and it will open another window. Select automatic from the menu and click save.
Reboot.

It sounds more like a misconfiguration.

It is set to automatic but under status it says starting... like its frozen. I don't get it. I can't stop it or anything. Bizzare

Back
Top Bottom