So much for Corsair's good name!

emperor76

In Runtime
Corsair psu exploded!

Well, after having a cheap cit psu in my system for quite some time, I upgraded to a Corsair CX750, I was happily playing Civ 4, decided to come off the game for a bit, check Facebook and browse the web.

I heard a bang, a burning smell and the computer instantly went off, after a little while I noticed the router was also off which was on a different plug, it had tripped the switch, so off I went into the "cupboard of doom", or camping/Christmas decorations/anything I want to get out of the way while tidying cupboard.

After some battling with avalanching items, I got to the trip switch, but the computer still wouldn't work.

I reluctantly took the psu out and put my old cit psu in, my computer is now on, back to using the cheap psu I got with my computer.

I'd just like to take this time to say: Daaaammmmmittt! that's the cleanest word I can use right now!

Last edited:
There will always be an odd fluke. It doesn't mean the brand name is bad. Maybe one slipped past the QC checker and got out the door. That happens with any brand name. I had an expensive BOSE system go BANG one time. Bad filter cap in the power supply. They were all other that and asked me if there was anything else they could do for me.

Contact Corsair and let them know what happened. I'm sure it's just a fluke and they'll make it right. It's not right your curse the brand name for just one incident.

You should change the title of this thread to something different. It's not accurate.

Corsair psu exploded

There will always be an odd fluke. It doesn't mean the brand name is bad. Maybe one slipped past the QC checker and got out the door. That happens with any brand name. I had an expensive BOSE system go BANG one time. Bad filter cap in the power supply. They were all other that and asked me if there was anything else they could do for me.

Contact Corsair and let them know what happened. I'm sure it's just a fluke and they'll make it right. It's not right your curse the brand name for just one incident.

You should change the title of this thread to something different. It's not accurate.

I did notice the psu had a warranty, it just seems like a massive cooincidence, of all the computers I've had, the only one that ever exploded was one I got for free off someone that was already knackered, this is the only psu I've ever got that is what I'd consider a good brand, and it lasts a few days, I get that there are flukes, this is however really annoying when I've always held them in such high regard, I have changed the title never the less, thanks for the reply

Actually, I thought I'd changed the title, but I can't seem to work it out as yet

Last edited:
You could have said PSU failed.
You got that for free and it was already knackered? The computer or the PSU?

You could have said PSU failed.
You got that for free and it was already knackered? The computer or the PSU?

No, no computer of mine has ever exploded, occasionally i get old computers for free to practice on, the one that exploded was one of these.

What I was trying to say was, I have never paid extra for a psu before and as soon as I do, it goes bang, I must have some really bad luck!

I'm right there with ya trust me. I used to have the worst luck with the small show stopper items. Most of those items I design and fabricate in my shop now a days. The big ticket items I'll shop for weeks before I buy something. I do a lot of reading up and if they are on the stock exchange, I'll see how their stock is doing.
Shop till you drop then shop some more.

Corsair is just a name, they don't make PSUs. The CX line is made by CWT which had been a questionable maker. They supposed to have improved their models since then but who knows.

Other makers for Corsair PSUs includes Great Wall and Seasonic.

That's really strange, must have been a bad one, the only time I've had a power supply explode is when I had it set to 110V when the AC outlet is actually 230V...

You've actually just reminded me, when I was a kid, my older brother got a computer for my dad, I wondered what the switch did, do I flicked it, it actually caught fire, this is no exaggeration.

Corsair is just a name, they don't make PSUs. The CX line is made by CWT which had been a questionable maker. They supposed to have improved their models since then but who knows.

Other makers for Corsair PSUs includes Great Wall and Seasonic.

To be fair, I was very close to going with Seasonic, but when I found a 750w Corsair for £65 and nearly all of the many reviews were 5 stars, I thought I'd found a bargain that I couldn't turn down, plus there was the fact that I like them and they seem to have a very good reputation

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

After a while trying to get hold of Corsair and failing because I'm outside the US and none of the numbers I found would work, the online question form kept telling me I hadn't filled out the boxes describing the problem when I had, I even at a last resort contacted their Facebook page I found on the front of the book that came with the psu about 8 hours ago, but still no response, so I've gone to Amazon and realised I can get a replacement sent out and can return mine to a collection point free of charge, so I'm just waiting for a replacement from Amazon, now to find the wires to the printer that I've spent the last hour searching for so I can print the label for the return postage.

Back
Top Bottom