We are in a rut

This is how I built my i5 system. I waited for rebates and discounts from Newegg. I saved quite a bit. Since I have a good i3 system to use I was able to sit on the i5 build.

Oh yeah, since I showed the build process I haven't listed the goodies.

Intel i5-3570 CPU
Gigabyte B75-HD3 Motherboard
2x4 Corsair Vengeance 1600 Memory
Seagate 1TB Constellation Hard Drive
Asus 24x DVD-RW
Sapphire 1G GDDR5 Radeon HD7770 Video Card
Seasonic 520w M12II PSU
Xigmatek Gigas cube case
Windows 7 Home Premium

I was lucky to get memory for the i3 and the i5 systems before they doubled in prices.

Last edited:
Wow! I would say you need it then! I'm a old dude and I doubt if I ever decide to build my own rig; but if I do my friend, I'm be looking you up for your advise! Trust me friend I know Macrium Reflect and I can help you there!!
Gary

Hi guys! I hope this doesn't sound sarcastic in any way. I have seen some great rigs in this thread that seti started. They make my little old Toshiba lap top look like a toy. Besides bragging rights and being able to play some high powered war games; what can you do with these expensive toys that I can't do with my little old cheap lappy??
I think it would be great to know how to choose the best hardware and then how to build one of these rigs. I'm jealous that I don't have your ability and knowledge to do that. It's a great thread. My question is what percentage of members and guest have a clue or the ability to create one of these fantastic rigs.
Don't get mad. I'm just asking a question and I think the thread is great for all you that have this ability and the money. I click on it every day
Gary!!

The difference between an older budget machine and a new high-end machine is just phenomenal. You get used to what you have, but trust me, stepping from an older machine onto something with an SSD, i5 etc, you'd never want to go back! The system would boot in mere seconds (best I've seen is about 10), programs open instantly, photos and videos load instantly...

Plus you can fold with them, play modern high-end games (if you're into that sort of thing), render videos in minutes instead of days/hours, render 3D models in seconds...

But it's down to what you do, you don't need a sledgehammer to secure a tent peg, like you don't need a GTX Titan video card to play solitaire!

I was about to make my radiator intake fan to an outtake fan as i talked about. But then i noticed that my dust filter was completely covered up in dust. So it will not be a good test.
I have cleaned it and i am gonna take a screenshot of the new tamps later today.
I'll be posting some before and after cleaning temps. It will be interesting to see how much it improved my cooling.
It's gonna be a little while before i check the temps, because it has to be fair. The first picture i took was after my system had been on for 6 hours.

Ok so here's a thought to debate. Desk rigs only. Laptop's get too hot when left running.

I leave my desk rig on 24/7. It's plugged in to a UPS with surge protection.
I find that the system is more stable and quicker responding if left on. My programs that auto update like ESET and MS Office can do so with out having to wait till next time the system gets fired up. The OS updates are set to manual so they have to wait on me.
I tend to think the more it's left on and just running a screen saver like the MS clock, the more stable it will be when you need to do something with it. The power on surges tend to shorten the life of electronics. Could explain why if you have a cheapo power supply, you tend to have problems and mysterious failures of hardware.

What do you guys think?

Hi There are many opinions about this subject. I tend to agree with seti. I very seldom turn my PC off. I just run a cheap old Toshiba lap top, but it's going on the 5th year now and it stays on 24/7. Have you ever noticed when you turn on a light, you get a flash and the bulb burns out. I'm not saying if you leave the light on all the time it won't burn out, there's also a heat factor there. I'm not turning my lappy off until some one proves it will last longer if I turn it off.
I'm ready for a new one any way!!LOL
Gary!

My system's on the minute I wake up and off when I sleep. I see no reason to run it overnight.

I don't see why it should be running more stable and quicker when it has been on for long.

Having the computer generate heat, noise and use electricity 24/7 is a no go for me.
Maybe the electricity saved by turning it off when not using it is enough for you to buy a quality PSU over a cheap one.
That should extend the hardwares life. No hardware are forever anyway. It get's outdated

There's this understanding that turning on and off stresses the components by heating and cooling.

Every one has their opinions about this. I don't really know. I expect to get a new PC at least every 7 years, just to stay up with the progress. I'm not into building them. I just buy a cheap one and log on to help forums and cause trouble. LOL
Gary!!

Back
Top Bottom