We are in a rut

Now to get the CPU fan hooked to the heat sink fins. The reason it goes on now is if you mount the fan or fans, you can't get to the keeper bracket screws.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Moment of truth. It didn't go so well as I had removed the memory cards an didn't seat one down all the way when it was fired up. Beep Beep Beep. Memory error. Easy to fix just had to reseat the cards.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Booted right up after and now checking air flow.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I want to do something with the controller chip as it gets hot. But for now according to Intel it's inside its normal operating temps.

attachment.php

Sorry for the pictures being so big but if the size is reduced you can't read them.

Ok in this pic you see the Prime95 program is started up full bore. It's set for max power and flog the frack out of the CPU and memory cards. Notice the TMPIN2 temp. That's hot!!!
The highest core temp only got to 152F. That's not too shabby considering it got a lot hotter before cleaning out the case and remounting the CPU heat sink.

attachment.php

About a minute before stoping the run I took this screen dump. Acording to the program it ran 29 minutes and these max temps are all it got.

attachment.php

Over all I'm pretty pleased with the stability of the temps even when getting the spurs put to her. I do want to continue to persue getting the other componets temps down under load.
However there's a vibration in the top end of the case that could be indicative of a bad fan. The CPU fan is new out of the box so even though it's unlikely to be the culprit, it will still have to be checked. If a bearing is going out in one or more of the case fans the cost of the cougar brand fans is quite reasonable. So "Hello NewEgg, I need 3 case fans." I would like to get some that move move than 70CFM but then the noise factor rises to meet the air flow. UGH!

So this is where I am with it right now. I'll be posting up more details on my baby as things progress along. Oh yeah, I'm in contact with Antec to see if they have the side panel with a window stashed away somewhere. The site shows not available at this time. They could have one sitting around somewhere they might let me buy from them. Fingers crossed.

I love the hardware side but don't tend to upgrade very often, I'll do an individual build and it tends to stay as is aside from the odd RAM upgrade or new PSU. I'll be sure to take a few pics if I build anything new :)

Only upgrade on this one was the CPU fan. The one from CM wasn't really doing the job so it had to go. I swapped it out for a Cougar Vortex CF-V12HP. This one is rated for 800 to 1500 RPMs. But I've found that they'll go a hell of a lot faster. They're all four pin so using them on the case or the heat sink is totally under the system control. And they only draw 300 milliamps at full speed. 70 CFM. For the unenlightened, the PWM speed controller signal tells it how fast to go while the tachometer feedback verifies the speed. Far more precise speed regulation.
And very very quiet. Church mouse quiet. And at max RPM to boot. They cost $14.95 at Newegg. It's a great bang for the buck.

I just ran a graphics torture test and the vid card purred right along and didn't get overly warm. They run warm anyway. It did as well as expected. GTX650ti EVGA (Nvidia based card).

Any way the temps have settled down a lot over the last couple of days. I left CPUID's HWmonitor running over night. This is what I got up to see.

attachment.php

I'm good...

Nice temps.
I love this tread you have created. I am gonna participate soon with some configuration changes on my own system.
I have 3 case fans in total and one of them are used as in intake for my radiator. (for my liquid cooled CPU).
I am gonna try to see what happens if a revers it, so it's an outtake fan. I have heard that it should be better.
To me it makes no sense, since the air is cooler from the outside of the system, but Linus from Linus tech tips said that at some point. It's apparently better to make that fan participate in removing hot air than taking cold air in.
I am gonna test that. I have a picture of the temps already. so i just need to change it and monitor the result. I am gonna do that tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hey NikonGuy go for it.

BikerEcho
Thanks. For a simple i5 setup, it's not too shabby. I'm falling back to some old themes in system building. Long ago in the P4 days I would get real out there trying to make the inside of the case as cold as I could get it.

I would think if the radiator was standing up on the top of the case or along side in a separate box with a push/pull fan setup, it would let the CPU get colder. May not look pretty but it sure would work nice.

Hi guys! I hope this doesn't sound sarcastic in any way. I have seen some great rigs in this thread that seti started. They make my little old Toshiba lap top look like a toy. Besides bragging rights and being able to play some high powered war games; what can you do with these expensive toys that I can't do with my little old cheap lappy??
I think it would be great to know how to choose the best hardware and then how to build one of these rigs. I'm jealous that I don't have your ability and knowledge to do that. It's a great thread. My question is what percentage of members and guest have a clue or the ability to create one of these fantastic rigs.
Don't get mad. I'm just asking a question and I think the thread is great for all you that have this ability and the money. I click on it every day
Gary!!

No problem Gary.
I use mine to watch movies in HD, compose Access and Excel templates, test drive forum software like VB using WAMP, run my flying models flight computer software, program ESC's, and design and develop my own electronics designs.
I also do other things that require a system to do some heavy lifting. Because of the NDA I can't discuss it.

As far as building one of your own, it's not really all that complicated. First you have to decide what you want to do with it and go from there. Shop carefully for the parts that will do the job, hold up for a good while, and don't break the bank in the process.

Back
Top Bottom