Motherboard Help

keb

Beta member
I have a really old motherboard that needs replaced, but I have a question first. I might need to order onling, so how do I know if the motherboard I find will have the holes for the screws at the same location as the motherboard that is in there now?

Sent from my SM-S975L using Computer Forums mobile app

They usually are more or less standard but you should be able to move the pillars around in the computer case to match the screws to the pillars.

As everyone has said the wholes always are fine but what yoiu need to watch is whether or not the board is an ATX or needs to be and the size whether mid size or Micro is necessary for your case. If this is a brand name pc you also need to be sure you have normal jumpers for "power", "led", "reset" and "hard drive led" because if the mfgr used one big plug instead you will never match it so it won't start.

The motherboard is B61-41-265. I am trying to update it for my nephew's first PC

Sent from my SM-S975L using Computer Forums mobile app

I couldn't really find any info based on that model number, other than the board is very old and supports socket-7 CPUs. Are you trying to replace it because it's gone bad? Or are you trying to upgrade the PC? It seems like you might be better off just upgrading to a new machine altogether.

In any case, as others have said, motherboards use standardized form factors (ATX, Micro ATX, ITX, etc.) If you buy a replacement board with the same form factor, it should fit in the case.

If you are keeping existing components such as CPU, RAM, etc, ensure that the replacement board is compatible with them also. (Same CPU socket, same ram type, etc.)

For the money you're about to spend upgrading a case and other items you can get refurbished HP slim form factor computers. They came with win7 in most setups and all you need is a monitor and keyboard/mouse. I got one for my office that had win7 pro64 and the best part was the wireless card was already installed and has 2.4 and 5 Ghz wifi. It was like $140.00usd shipped.

Jeeze Rich do you have trouble with every thing you come across?
I had one I bough for my office. The picture and sound built in was pretty good considering what it was. The one I got had a 2.40Ghz cord 2 dual, a 160gig HD, 4 gigs of ram and a wireless card with 5Ghz included. Mine when you pop the lid was a laptop in a box. Other models are different. I didn't need anything fancy so I got that one. The brick was a standard 19 volt laptop brick. If the OP is just web surfing it's more than enough. If they want to run M$ Office full suite, it runs that just fine also. As for slim video cards not being all that great and wonderful, if you're going to game, that's no where near the machine you'll need.

Back
Top Bottom