Warning

ukrberserker23

Baseband Member
Well, I had a few bugs with the new Windows 10. Yesterday I was changing from Spybot to Bitdefender, and had to restart after the download. When I did, it started automatic updates, and crashed my laptop. I took it to the Windows store here in Boston, and they said my hard drive crashed. They want $150 to reinstall Windows. My laptop is an HP with all the backup files on D drive. You can't even get to recovery on the thing. This is Microsoft's fault not mine. Now I am out a laptop. If anyone can tell me how to fix this, I'll just go back to 8.1. If not, I'm selling it to a friend for $50.:facepalm:

can you elaborate,

they say hard drive crash, do they mean that the disk is broken and $150 is a new disk and re-install windows?

or is that literally re-install windows?

Hi! More information please! Answer Rich's question first. I'm guessing you have no restore media. A system repair or install disk should get you to the repair mode.
I'll never understand why people don't create these disks. The feature is there and all you need to do is burn a couple of disks.
Gary!

Yes. It will not let me go to system restore. I didn't create the rescue discs because it is an HP. I had a Compaq Presario before, and it had 20 disks for restore. 20 DVD's cost a lot of money, and I was on a college budget at the time. I can get system info, system check, BIOs setup, that is it. Doesn't matter. The crash was directly caused by Microsoft updates, and I turned them off a couple weeks before this happened. After reading on the news about thousands of other people's computers crashing, I turned them off. It updated anyway, and crashed my hard drive. I see a good class action suit in the near future.

I don't believe for one second your drive crashed because of a simple update download. If it's like you describe and a lot of others are having the same problem how come it hasn't made CNN news?

By the way I have a HP G7 lappy and all it takes is 2 DL DVD's. My 8 year old DV6 took 4 single layer DVD's. What model was that that took 20 disc's?

Back
Top Bottom