Black screen at startup, Can't go into safe mode because SSD

oxoDUs

Beta member
Hello,

laptop model "ASUS ROG G551JW"

I'm having a serious problem. I decided to replace my windows 10 back to windows 8.1. When i installed it it was working. Then i installed nvidia graphics driver, chipset drivers(required to restart computer, i did not), audio drivers(required to restart computer, i did not), ATK drivers(required to restart computer, i did not), then "nvidia experience" suggested me to download new version of grapichs driver so i started downloading it. Furthermore, i went to install directx11 setup did not start and computer got "lagged". I "end tasked" the directx11 setup and decided to restart windows. But it did not restart, I was waiting like 20mins and it still it was showing: "Restarting...". Then i forcibly shut down the computer by holding power button for few seconds. Now when it loads up I can only see a black screen and my mouse cursor(can also move it).

Any solution to this? I think i would be able to fix it if i could enter safe mode, but shift+f8 and f8 doesn't work for me because my laptop has SSD. And i can't open it through windows because it doesn't load.

Yours sincerely,
Eligijus

Safe mode should work even though you're using an SSD, I'm not aware of a limitation that prevents you getting into it!

If you get problems like this then it's best to just reinstall and put it down to experience. If it happens a second time then it would indicate some sort of hardware fault.

I tend to restart the PC after every required restart, I've never come across a problem yet but you never know, so it's worth sticking to the instructions.

Do you have a Win8 disk? You can boot into safe mode with it. If you don't have it, download and ISO from MS, burn in to a DVD and use it. Just make sure it is the same version and variation. That is legal as long as it is an official un-hacked copy and MS provides it directly. Legal copies are available around, but that's risky for me.

You know, before that, try that forceful shut down while holding down the Shift key. That sometimes work for me, dunno why not always.

And by the way, avoid the 355.60 Geforece drivers for now. Try to stick with the latest stable version you had. That last one has issues, and a fix was released, but I Haven't tried it yet.

Back
Top Bottom