Using Macrium Reflect

OK, sorry if I am confusing you folk. I have read my last post again this morning and it does make sense to me, perhaps it's my feeble brain eh!

Anyway, if I go the route suggested by crazyman143 and go the 'copy and paste' method, can I just right click on the 'M' drive in file explorer and then click 'copy' and then when it has finished copying simply click on the 'D' drive and click 'paste' or will this be too much in one go?

If it is too much, presumably I would have to do it in batches of say, all of the files/folders beginning with 'A', then 'B' and so on until finished.

OK, sorry if I am confusing you folk. I have read my last post again this morning and it does make sense to me, perhaps it's my feeble brain eh!

Anyway, if I go the route suggested by crazyman143 and go the 'copy and paste' method, can I just right click on the 'M' drive in file explorer and then click 'copy' and then when it has finished copying simply click on the 'D' drive and click 'paste' or will this be too much in one go?

If it is too much, presumably I would have to do it in batches of say, all of the files/folders beginning with 'A', then 'B' and so on until finished.

I think your best bet is to just do it all in one go. Windows 7 and 8 are smart enough to handle large file transfers (far better than XP was) Just be prepared for interruptions that need your input (It will ask about duplicates, names that are too long, files in use, etc.) and you might need to skip some files or go back to them later. If it errors on copying a file that is important to you, just make a note of it and you can go back to the single file and attempt to copy it later.

Hi! I have never copied and pasted a large partition. I'm sure it can be done if crazyman says it can. I have been thinking about all this and trying to understand what you're trying to accomplish. I'm Thinking you have 3 HDD's. On one you have your Operating System {SSD}.. Then If I understand, you want to clone that drive on one of your other HDD's. Why you want to do that; I'm not sure, but you can do that with Macrium.
What are you wanting to do with the other drive?? Is it the one that you want to store images and other data on?? Is that your external drive?? If that's the case, I see nothing wrong with that plan. IMHO you're just wasting a HD when you create a clone, unless your wanting to replace the drive where you have you're OS. Anyway that's my thoughts!
Gary!!

Last edited:
Gary,

He's not looking to clone his OS. He has data files on an external hard drive. He just needs to copy these files to the 1 terabyte drive in his computer.

Gary, yes I do have 3 HDD's, and yes the O/S is on the SSD but no, I am not wanting to clone this. I will do an image of it to the external HDD as and when. The original 1TB drive, now labelled 'D' is to be used from now on for my everyday work after transferring all of the existing data to it from the external 'M' drive. This external 'M' drive will then be empty and will be used for all of the backup images of my data and the O/S via macrium.
P.S. I have pinned the 'Snipping Tool' to my taskbar, I think you may be pleased to hear that!

crazyman143, you are correct in what you say in post #34 above.

Thanks for all your help and patience folks it is much appreciated. I am almost there now.

P.S. I have salvaged another HDD and put it in a USB carrier and will use this as additional backup.

Last edited:
It seems you have been working at this since 8/13, 9 days ago. If you are trying to move or copy data from an external drive to an internal drive, you could simply drag and drop the folders from the external drive to the internal drive. Depending on how much data is being copied it might take a few hours.

I don't understand why you are trying to use Macrium Reflect to do what could be done easily using Windows File Explorer.

Hi strollin, no I haven't been at it all of that time, jst now and again. It is all done now though.
The next job is to install Windows 10.

Hi! Good on you bluenose! I guarantee you will one day be glad you have your OS backed up with Macrium. Drag and drop is a good suggestion also strollin. The more you learn about Macrium,the more you will love that program. You can mount your Macrium image and copy and paste or drag and drop from it.
Gary!
Here's a image of Macrium on my external drive (E) on the right and my working (C) drive on the left. It's kind a cool if you want to compare your image and your working drive. You can copy and paste or drag and drop from the image. The image is read only so it won't work the other way!

Attachments

• Capture48.jpg
    Capture48.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Macrium Reflect is indeed a good program and good to know how to use but there's the old saying about using the right tool for the job. You don't need a sledge hammer to hammer in a tack.

Hi strollin! I've never tried to drag and drop a whole partition before to another partition on another drive. I never had the need to try that. Would be interesting to know if that works!!
That would be very handy. I don't have a way to test that. Just have my old Toshiba lap top with one internal drive and one external drive. It sounds reasonable to drag and drop from two internal drives, but I've never tried that!
Gary!!

Back
Top Bottom