Using Macrium Reflect

A file-by-file backup will also preserve your folder structure exactly how you have it.

Images and clones copy the disk structure (and restoring duplicates the disk structure) while a file-by-file backup copies the file structure. Images are most useful for backing up boot disks where there are certain hidden system files that must be written to a specific location on the disk or it will not boot.

strollin, I have just noticed that the grey irst part of disk 1 is exactly the same size as 'The macrium backup of C on disk 4 at 486.3mb.

Now when I created disk 1 as a single partition, I tried to create an image of just partition 2 on disk 4 but it seems to have copied all of it and placed it all on disk 1. I definitely ticked the box to image just that partition, any ideas why it would do all of it. Perhaps now that I have backed up all of my data I could format disk 4 and clean it up totally. Would that be a good idea?

I mentioned in post#6 above that I had successfully done a clone of my data and it all checked out fine. However, this morning I had a look at the drive in Macrium, and it just doesn't look right to me. Although all of the data is there, the illustration of the drive doesn't look right. I thought that I had made the disk into a single partition but I'm not sure now that I have.

Is it possible that someone could have a look at my link below and offer their thoughts please. Many thanks.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx258/bluenose1940/Computer/Disk List_3_zpseyt9mdsg.png

You have a single 200GB partition on your 1 TB drive. The grey areas surrounding the partition are free, unused space. To maximize the potential of your 1TB drive you'll want to expand your partition to fill those spaces.

Right then folks, here we go again.

I am trying to get the contents of my 'M' drive backed-up to the 'D' drive but everytime that I try this, I always end up with the contents of the 'L' drive going over aswell. I really don't want this.

When I am in Macrium Reflect I always ensure that I choose 'Image this partition only' but it still backs up the 'L' section too.

Any ideas on how I can get over this please?

20_08_2015.jpg

Hi! I always create the back up image feature that is required to restore my OS.
That is the first 2 partitions. I have no idea what your checking or unchecking.
Are you clicking on this and then just ticking the partition you want to back up??
Gary!!

Attachments

• Capture48.jpg
    Capture48.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 3
Hi After further viewing, I'm wondering why you have a Macrium image on that drive.
Where are you storing your back up images??
I'm once again totally confused what you're trying to do.
Where are you storing your OS images??
Here's a screen shot of my external drive with 10 images of my OS.
Is this where you're storing you back up images of your OS??

Attachments

• Capture48.jpg
    Capture48.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Capture49.jpg
    Capture49.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hi Gary, at the moment I save all of my data/files/folders to the 'M' drive which is an external drive. Apparently I shouldn't be doing this and so, what I am trying to achieve is to move this data to the internal 'D' drive (hence the clone) and to then continue to save all of the data/files/folders that I create in the future to this drive and then to do regular backups of it to the 'M' external drive i.e to reverse what I do now. I will then do a backup to an external drive of the O/S which is currently on the internal SSD. What I don't want is the Macrium backup of the O/S to keep getting transferred to the internal 'D' drive when I am trying to move the data. I just want to move the data on the 'M' drive to the 'D' drive.
I'm sorry if I am confusing you but I don't know how else to describe it.

Hi! I'm very sorry,but i don't have a clue what your talking about or trying to do!
You can save a back up image to any drive except your Operating drive. I think you're trying to get Macrium to do things that it's not designed to do. Your cloning and moving things around. When you clone a drive, you don't add to it. That's why I don't use that feature. Maybe if you post a screen shot of your disk management, some one can figure out what you're trying to accomplish.
I understand that your OS is on the SSD. You need to create a image of that to a drive that doesn't have a OS on it. I see what looks like a OS on the M drive. I really don't understand your plan or what you're trying to accomplish!! I'm very sorry!!
Gary

Hi Gary, at the moment I save all of my data/files/folders to the 'M' drive which is an external drive. Apparently I shouldn't be doing this and so, what I am trying to achieve is to move this data to the internal 'D' drive (hence the clone) and to then continue to save all of the data/files/folders that I create in the future to this drive and then to do regular backups of it to the 'M' external drive i.e to reverse what I do now. I will then do a backup to an external drive of the O/S which is currently on the internal SSD. What I don't want is the Macrium backup of the O/S to keep getting transferred to the internal 'D' drive when I am trying to move the data. I just want to move the data on the 'M' drive to the 'D' drive.
I'm sorry if I am confusing you but I don't know how else to describe it.
As has been said before, I would recommend simply copy/pasting your data from the external over to the internal. Why use imaging if it's not necessary?
In any case, like you said you should be able to clone a single partition. Macrium has the main window displaying your drives as well as "clone" and "image" options. After you select one of those options another window pops up where you can again confirm which partition(s) you are cloning. make sure that the L drive is still unchecked there before continuing. But I would personally avoid all of that and just use copy/paste.

Back
Top Bottom