We are in a rut

Sorry.
I'm burning in a Cougar Vortex 120mm fan. It is new in the box so I want to make sure it's stable before installing it. The fan is mounted to the retainer brackets and clipped on to the heat sink. So far the air pull through the fins is way ahead of the Cooler Master OEM fan that came with it. I'll get it installed in the morning.

Last edited:
Hi! I wish I could join you all in this. Looks like fun, but I'm to damn lazy. Also My skin is so thin it tears if I just bump some thing. I will watch and admire all this and maybe once in awhile say!!WOW
PS Been spending a lot of time on Techist. I'm thinking the merger may not be a such good idea. I'm thinking we are different here. I guess the staff probably doesn't care what I think! LOL. OH well. What the Hell?? What do we know Celery!! See you're still up!!

! WOW!

Last edited:
Found the air leak.

My setup is a negative pressure case. There's 3 120mm exhaust fans and a 120mm wide by 240mm tall filtered intake which is assited by 2 120mm fans inside the case.These were mounted to the inside wall of the hard drive bays.
Oviously the asssit fans didn't do any good so I decided to take them out. I came to this conclusion when I noticed the blades were not dirty as the rest of the fans and the heat sink were. Matter of fact the intake side of the fans were clean. It was the exhaust side that had a little dirt on the blades but nothing to write home about. So they had to go.

I stood the case up and took of the back side panel and you could have floored me with a feather. Nasty was not the word for it. As you can see in the photos, I didn't tape up this vent as I thought the flat wire would do that instead.
I was wrong.
This is where the nasty air was coming in. I've already cleaned up the vent and plan to plug it up with either duct tape on the inside or run a strip of white double side tape from the outside. There's not really enough flat spots in the inside of the vent to let duct tape stick securely so I'm leaning toward the double sticky on the outside. Besides in a low pressure enviroment, the tape may get sucked off and be self defeating.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The molex connector cable was in there to start with when I first put the computer together. The Antec P280 case comes with 3 120mm 3 speed fans The power hub was on the back of the case near the top on the inside. The 3 speed switches were on an adaptor and mounted from the inside facing out. They were a joke. The top speed could not keep up with the heat. So when I swapped out the CPU heat sink, they went also. Any way the cable was there to power the hub. When I installed the front assit fans it was convientant to power them from that cable.
So now that it's no longer needed, and thanks to a modular power supply, I can remove it from the case and put it away for future use.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now let me come back to this picture to expand on something I saw. Better yet didn't see.

attachment.php

This case has a filtered PSU air intake that's on the bottom of the case. The feet on the case are short so not much air can get to it. The fan runs silent meaning it only needs to rev up when it gets loaded up and the temperature rises. If it turns out to need more air to stay cool, I'll swap the case feet out for a set that is a little taller. Sunbeam, and not the iron maker, has some that will fit right in and glow. A little bling bling for my baby.
So I saw was just a little dirt around the plugs and a tiny amount on the four air notches in the upper back. I'm real happy to see just that small amount. What I didn't see is the two vents in the case on either side of the PSU crudded up. Amazingly enough they are clean. When I get all the leaks plugged up these will need to be plugged up also.

So What do you do to your case to make it work better and keep the goodies cool?

The material women's hose is made of makes a great filter. You just make a frame and stretch it over. Then mount it to the inside of the intake fan.

Anyone remember the Commodore 64?

I was really into the C64 back then and learned Extended Basic and Assembly Language. I wrote a lot of games and sold one to Compute! magazine.

Years ago my sis was at a church rummage sale and found these for $15. I thought it'd be fun to play with it again. After a while I found it lacking as the software was limited and dated. I sure missed my old collection and decided to retire it and sell it.

Attachments

• C64C001.jpg
    C64C001.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 3
  • C64C002.jpg
    C64C002.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 3
that wire was pretty rare...

whilst I don't have photos, on the "rank scale" nothing will ever beat the day we cleaned the inside of a friends computer...

he had an intake fan on the case front bottom, and exhaust at the back, nothing fancy, he kept his machine on top of the desk next to the monitor (in the days of CRT monitors), and he kept his ash tray right in front of the tower case... for the three years of heavy smoking he did whilst at university sitting up all night every night working and using his computer. (by the time we cleaned it there was a few more years after university.)

the CPU heatsink and fan ended up clogged with a thick tar laden dust weave/matt creation that smelled horrible and stuck to everything it touched.

I'm setting up a FPV camera with a close up lens so I can show the mating of the heat sink and the CPU. I'll connect that to my pocket DVR and shoot a video.

I shot a video using this camera. Its sister flies on my multirotor models. I have 7 different lenses for these cameras and selected this one to make the video so it could be set back out of the way and still get in close. I used my pocket DVR I got to record my flying. It uses a standard SD card. The vid is too long to be posted to YouTube. It's about 41 minutes long so I used GomPlayer's snapshot feature to get a set of stills from it.

attachment.php

Finished plugging up the holes with some soft packing foam. I did go with a strip of 3M super foam tape on the strip vent in the back of the case. It's on the outside of the case and was cut to allow the side panel to sit flush while covering the vent. I forgot to take a pic of that.

attachment.php

Mainly just for S&G's I snapped this shot looking up the intake. That's the bottom of the optical drive in the top center. The dirt off to the left got cleaned out after I reviewed the pictures.

attachment.php

I put the case fans in first because of the size of the heat sink. To put them in after installing the heat sink would be a royal pain in the gazootenblatz.

attachment.php

Well here she is all buttered up and ready to bake. You wouldn't believe what I used to smear the paste around with. Don't ask. But it worked pretty good.

attachment.php

It's on and the screws are lined up and hand turned the fist few turns to line it all up. Then like putting on a tire, I ran down the screws.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Then a quick check to make sure the keeper bracket was in place.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back
Top Bottom