PSU or SSD

emperor76

In Runtime
Hi all, I currently have a CIT 750w psu, I understand it's not advisable to go with a psu that's not a decent brand, at some point I will probably be getting a Corsair one as I love Corsair stuff (perhaps blindly sometimes). I believe this is my psu, although I'm not certain it's my exact one or not, CiT Black 750W Power Supply - PSUCIT750UB - CCL Computers

Now I've got my external back up drive and an acceptable graphics card, I'm torn between getting an SSD or a new PSU, I'd like to see the performance increase an SSD would bring, plus they're getting pretty cheap now.

I've had this psu in my computer for a couple of years now and I've had absolutely no problems, the one thing that annoys me about it, is the fact the 24 pin power cable for the motherboard just about reaches the socket, now I've put this graphics card in, it only just reaches at a stretch as it's too short to go neatly behind the motherboard and around, I didn't consider this before getting such a huge case with an mATX board, other than that it's served me fine.

Last edited:
The longer time it's gonna be between each purchase, the more i see a reason to buy the PSU first. A good PSU is a good PSU, and SSD's are getting better and cheaper. So if you wait, you might get a better deal on a SSD than what you will be a able to get now.

And the sooner you buy a quality PSU, the sooner you start saving on the electricity bill. I can't even see if it's 80+ certified at all. So i am guessing it's has very poor efficiency. I think i saved about 15% electricity on the computer by going from 80+ basic to 80+platinum. That's not too bad. And your PSU might not be 80+ certified at all. So the difference could be bigger.

Last edited:
The PSU is 75% efficiency so it's not certified. It's not even in the PSU database so it's an el cheapo. If you haven't had brown outs or black outs consider yourself lucky.

Wanna replace it? Get a Seasonic and be done with. :)

I have the AX850 and it's 80 Platinum which means it's 95% efficient at 50% load.
The UK line of PSU's is basically the same. The fully modular 860 is a little steep but for what you get and years of dependable service, it's a solid investment.

Get a better psu. A bad power supply can tank at any moment and it will take out other parts with it. You don't want that. Get a Corsair CX 750w. 80+ bronze is plenty.

Thanks everyone for your replies, it seems it's pretty unanimous, I was hoping since it's been working for so long, I'd been lucky in the choosing a cheap psu stakes, I know it's an area I skimped on when building my computer and I was running out of funds, I just couldn't afford a good brand, this then left me with £50 for a graphics card, which I was stuck with for ages.

I will be going the psu route as soon as I can afford it, I've been looking at the Seasonic that Celery suggested, I noticed to get the same wattage as mine it's about £80 for bronze and just over £100 for gold, is there any justification in getting gold for the extra money, also, is 750w enough for future proofing, I believe 750w is probably way more than I need for my set up as it stands.

One thing that's now really annoying me, is every time I upgrade my computer, I was putting the old component upstairs so when I have enough components, I was going to build a computer to connect to the tv in my bedroom, to be fair I only have a graphics card so far, but I plan to either go intel or get an AM3+ board at some point, I was hoping to use this psu in the build for the bedroom eventually, I think I may have made a colossal mistake buying this psu!

Last edited:
Don't kick yourself too hard, mate. Most people make that mistake. I even made it and dodged the bullet when it blew on me.

The PSU is the literal heart of a computer, pumping the power to every component. While CPUs and video cards get the most attention they are useless without power. When a PSU blows it can very well fry anything and everything in a computer. When you step back and look at it, it is not worth saving a few bucks/pounds on the front end to gamble with replacing everything else down the road.

No gold isn't worth it. Electricity is ridiculously cheap, especially in the US. Don't know about the UK but bronze efficiency is plenty.

Back
Top Bottom