Anyone else had problems with the start menu in Windows 10

emperor76

In Runtime
Hi all, so far I've not really had many problems with Windows 10, but recently I've noticed the start menu just won't work when I press on it, after a while trying to get it to work, it eventually starts working again, just now, it's stopped working again, and it's having none of it, restarted it twice, nothing, tried a command prompt fix I found after a google search that's supposed to sort it, still nothing, it lights up blue when I hover over it, it just won't open up when I press it

Hi You said recently you started having trouble. Have you tried restoring to a earlier time or used the reset button??
Gary!

Thanks, Not tried any of these things yet, I was hoping to resolve the problem without doing this as I've not long done a clean install, I have installed items from the driver disk for my motherboard by going to specific folders as I was unable to use the express install in Windows 10, I wonder if that had something to do with it

Hi! I'm not sure! I upgraded to W10, but decided to roll back to W7 and wait for bugs to be removed! Really didn't have it long enough to find problems, but no problems with the start menu!! How did you install W10?? I used the upgrade option.
You might find some answers here if no one replies to your thread!!
Windows 10 Forums

Hi! I'm not sure! I upgraded to W10, but decided to roll back to W7 and wait for bugs to be removed! Really didn't have it long enough to find problems, but no problems with the start menu!! How did you install W10?? I used the upgrade option.
You might find some answers here if no one replies to your thread!!
Windows 10 Forums

I had enough of waiting for it to upgrade, so I went to the Microsoft and downloaded it there, from there, I basically upgraded as normal, I had to upgrade first to activate it, then after it had installed, I went back, reformatted and installed from boot.

Thanks, I'll have a browse through and see if I can find anything.

Your very welcome! Get all the bugs out and then I'll install it again. LOL
Here's how i upgraded W10 through the command prompt!! It worked well for me.
Gary!
Turn automatic updating on or off

1. Open Windows Update by swiping in from the right edge of the screen (or, if you're using a mouse, pointing to the lower-right corner of the screen and moving the mouse pointer up), tapping or clicking Settings, tapping or clicking Change PC settings, and then tapping or clicking Update and recovery.
  2. Tap or click Choose how updates get installed.
  3. Under Important updates, choose the option that you want.
  4. Under Recommended updates, select the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates check box.
  5. Under Microsoft Update, select the Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows check box, and then tap or click Apply.
Once automatic updates are enabled, launch Command Prompt in Administrator mode and enter the following command: wuauclt.exe/updatenow. That should trigger the Windows 10 download.

The problem has now gone, when I turned my computer on it said "start menu and Cortana aren't working, we'll try and fix this next time you sign in", I was unable to do anything at all, every time I restarted, I got the same problem on an relentless loop of Microsoft related anguish.

I read online somewhere to press on the power options, hold shift and click restart, when it restarted, it gave me options to either troubleshoot, start windows or another but I can't remember what the last one was now.

I decided to go straight to windows, it said configuring windows, then it restarted itself and said configuring updates or something, when windows came on, the problem had gone and the start menu seems to be working fine all the time.

Thanks for you help in trying to resolve my problem!

Your very welcome! Get all the bugs out and then I'll install it again. LOL
Here's how i upgraded W10 through the command prompt!! It worked well for me.
Gary!
Gary, if you wait until all the bugs are out then you'll never upgrade!

Better turn the computer off since you're running an OS that still has bugs in it! LOL! ;)

Gary, if you wait until all the bugs are out then you'll never upgrade!

Better turn the computer off since you're running an OS that still has bugs in it! LOL! ;)
:lol::lol:My W7 doesn't have any bugs. Now my Toshiba lappy does have bugs.
One that really bugs me is some times after a reboot, some of my icons don't show up in my tray and I have to boot again before they show up and my DVD drive won't write. It will read, but it won't write.
I'll upgrade to W10 again, but for now I'm going to wait.:thumb:
I think it will be the best OS MS ever built and I'll upgrade in the future!:whistling:

Back
Top Bottom