Partitioning

Like I mentioned on your other thread, I recommend Easus Partition Master for that. It will give you a visual layout of the partitions very similarly to how you see them in Macrium. But you will be able to delete, drag/drop and stretch them to make changes.

The 2 leftmost partitions are for dell recovery. If you are not sure what they do / unsure if you need them, then leave them.

Copy/Paste any data you have on drive K to drive J. Delete K and expand J to fill the free space.

You can do it in disk management but it doesn't offer the drag and drop functionality that I think makes it easier for a beginner. And it's not able to make changes to your boot drive.

You can do it in disk management but it doesn't offer the drag and drop functionality that I think makes it easier for a beginner. And it's not able to make changes to your boot drive.
OK Thanks friend!!:thumb:I was thinking about deleting the factory partition and expanding the C Drive.:) Personally I would leave the factory partition. You might need it some day. Those are just my thoughts!!
Gary!!

Like I mentioned on your other thread, I recommend Easus Partition Master for that. It will give you a visual layout of the partitions very similarly to how you see them in Macrium. But you will be able to delete, drag/drop and stretch them to make changes.

The 2 leftmost partitions are for dell recovery. If you are not sure what they do / unsure if you need them, then leave them.

Copy/Paste any data you have on drive K to drive J. Delete K and expand J to fill the free space.
i definitely don't need the partitions for Dell recovery and so would like to delete them. Not sure if it will let me though.

Any idea what the large grey partition is on the topmost drive? I want to make the Western Digital drive just have the one partition. There is nothing on 'K' at the moment and there is no longer a 'J' I think that this used to be where the large grey area is now.

The grey area is blank, non allocated space. You can create a new partition there or expand an existing one to fill the space.

The grey area is blank, non allocated space. You can create a new partition there or expand an existing one to fill the space.
I have made this drive into one single partition but the size is only showing as 931.5GB. I thought that it was a 1TB drive, isn't that 1000GB?

Do I have to format this drive before I try to save data to it, and do I have to give it a name?

The other thing that I don't understand is the 'Logical' and 'Primary' titles

Thanks again for the help.

Someone online explained it well:
Drive manufacturers report drive sizes using base 10 math while computer operating systems tend to report these sizes using base 2 math. The advantage of using base 2 math means that the code is somewhat simpler and it will run faster.

Basically, A drive that is marketed as 1 TB (1,000GB) assumes that 1,000 Kilobytes make up 1 Megabyte. But in actuality, Windows allocates 1,024 Kilobytes to 1 Megabyte. When you do the math on this, a 1TB hard drive ends up showing as ~931GB. This is normal.

All partitions are logical partitions as far as the operating system is concerned. a Primary partition is bootable.

You have to format the partition. I believe the program I mentioned does this for you. You want to format it as NTFS. You can give the partition a name though I think this is optional.

I need some urgent help please. I have made the Western digital drive into one single partition and was about to format it so that I can get the data transferred on to it but, I can't get at it. I can see it in macrium Reflect, but it is just one big grey block showing the size as 931GB but, it does not have a drive letter. I can also see it in EaseUS Partition Master but again it shows it as 'unallocated' and with no drive letter. When I go into 'This PC' on my desktop, it doesn't even appear as an available drive.

I've obviously done something wrong. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom