Suitable desk

That's my point. As long you reattach it it'll be stable. You can make it more so by attaching a diagonal bracing pieces crosswise (X pattern) on the back.

I have to have my space, especially with my computer. I had to use a tiny corner desk once upon a time and it drove me nuts. I now use a 6' buffet table.

Here's an old pic taken with a very crappy phone. The bookcase is still there but all the storage bins are not. I have the same setup excluding the mouse (upgraded to a Func MS-3). The 15" LCD was for use when I was working on someone's computer so it is in the closet now.

Nice, I think the green eyed monster is making an appearance due to the amount of space you have there!

That's my point. As long you reattach it it'll be stable. You can make it more so by attaching a diagonal bracing pieces crosswise (X pattern) on the back.

Thanks, I think I'm going to attempt this, although currently the case will still be an issue for now, it'll be a damn sight more comfortable that it is now.

I'm not sure whether I'm going to attempt to re attach it though as my DIY (don't involve yourself) skills generally match up to that of a dead camel.

I haven't had a proper look to see if it's easy to take off or whether it's just stuck some how, it will probably be a case of, "there must be a screw or something somewhere, what? maybe underneath then? nope *shouts unrepeatable words on the forum at the computer table*, well, it's a little jagged at the edges and I don't think I'll be reattaching that any time soon!".

If you can cut just cut out the area for your legs. That way you can get comfortable and the piece will still hold it all together.

Nice, I think the green eyed monster is making an appearance due to the amount of space you have there!

When we bought our house we went with a three bedroom one. The master bedroom is for my wife and I, and then we gave her mom the choice between the other two and she chose the one at the end of the house. We then made the last bedroom an office. I have my desk and computer, my wife has her desk and computer, and her mom her her desk and computer. We all have dual monitors but I am the only one with widescreens; my wife has dual 19" LCDs and her mom has dual 15" LCDs.

Her mom just moved her desk and computer into her room a couple of weeks ago so now we have more room. I moved mine back to the position shown in the picture. My wife will be moving hers to the wall opposite me this weekend. Her "desk" is actually a countertop that is just a few inches shy of reaching from wall to wall in the office and it sits on three two-drawer storage racks. The picture attached is the left half of it in its old position, and where she is going to move it back to this weekend.

Attachments

• Karen's Desk.jpg
    Karen's Desk.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 3
If you can cut just cut out the area for your legs. That way you can get comfortable and the piece will still hold it all together.

that sounds like a good plan, do you think it will be enough to support the base unit if I leave some of the wood remaining? I was originally planning on removing it completely and putting the base unit on a board to make sure it still gets ventilation, still not done it yet, been on mornings so been a bit cream crackered.

When we bought our house we went with a three bedroom one. The master bedroom is for my wife and I, and then we gave her mom the choice between the other two and she chose the one at the end of the house. We then made the last bedroom an office. I have my desk and computer, my wife has her desk and computer, and her mom her her desk and computer. We all have dual monitors but I am the only one with widescreens; my wife has dual 19" LCDs and her mom has dual 15" LCDs.

Her mom just moved her desk and computer into her room a couple of weeks ago so now we have more room. I moved mine back to the position shown in the picture. My wife will be moving hers to the wall opposite me this weekend. Her "desk" is actually a countertop that is just a few inches shy of reaching from wall to wall in the office and it sits on three two-drawer storage racks. The picture attached is the left half of it in its old position, and where she is going to move it back to this weekend.

Jammy gits, my girlfriend isn't really into computers, as long as she can go on face book and play Facebook bingo she's not really bothered, if she had her way, there'd just be a laptop. We did have a spare room, we have a three bedroom house, when we moved in my girlfriend already had a daughter, so that left one free room, which for a while had my weight bench in, which everybody seemed to use to hang items of clothes on, and a computer on a desk. When Sophie was born, she needed a bedroom, so we no longer have any spare rooms.

When I used to live on my own I had a spare room which I used as a retro games room, I had an Atari ST, Mega Drive, Master System all set up, my collection of retro computers and consoles has since grown, I have a C64, Megadrive, Snes, Master system, Game gear, Spectrum, Atari ST, but I now have nowhere to set them up.

Last edited:
that sounds like a good plan, do you think it will be enough to support the base unit if I leave some of the wood remaining? I was originally planning on removing it completely and putting the base unit on a board to make sure it still gets ventilation, still not done it yet, been on mornings so been a bit cream crackered.

This is why I suggested bracer pieces on the back. With it you can completely remove the bottom plate.

Or you can put a square piece of plywood to cover the back and nailed to the desktop and sides. It doesn't have to cover the whole back even, just enough to serve as a stabilizer.

Damn, I just have an idea, use the bottom plate as the stabilizer. Take it off and stand it up under the desktop and inside the sides. Nail 'em up. :)

Last edited:
This is why I suggested bracer pieces on the back. With it you can completely remove the bottom plate.

Or you can put a square piece of plywood to cover the back and nailed to the desktop and sides. It doesn't have to cover the whole back even, just enough to serve as a stabilizer.

Damn, I just have an idea, use the bottom plate as the stabilizer. Take it off and stand it up under the desktop and inside the sides. Nail 'em up. :)

I decided I'd use some of your advice to amend my desk, I was able to take the board at the bottom off, it has some sort of screw holding it on, took the board off the back the same way, put the board from bottom at the back to keep it sturdy, the hammered a nail slightly in the screwed a screw in where I'd made the whole in four places, it's took me ages, but it's so much more comfortable, and a bonus, the piece of wood that was at the back to start with, was just the right size to put under the base unit, however, in hindsight, I wish I'd screwed the wood a little higher so I could get my feet further through, the main reason I didn't, was because I was stacking up pieces of wood underneath to hold it at the same level as the side before screwing it in, thanks everyone for your help and ideas!

Attachments

• 1439588466654.jpg
    1439588466654.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom