Using Macrium Reflect

bluenose1940

In Runtime
I have a paid for version of this software and I intend to make good use of it.
I always keep my O/S and programmes on a seperate disk to my personal files/folders so that I can do a clean install of the O/S whenever I choose and this has worked well for me in the past. I will be upgrading to 10 from 8.1 in due course.

I wanted to ask a question please. I want to get all of my files/folders/data from one drive on to another and, the first thought that crossed my mind was that in order to get an identical set up, I would have to copy and paste all of the folders. This would take an awful long time as there is about 100GB of it. I then had a another thought, could I do a full backup with Macrium and then restore it onto the chosen drive.

Is this course of action a possibility, if it is, then it would save me a lot of time. I'm not too sure how to go about this exactly but if it cuts out all of the copying and pasting I will be well pleased. What I want to end up with is a setup exactly as it is now on the external drive. that is to say I want to be able to see the full directory with all of the folders/files etc etc.

Many thanks for any help that may be forthcoming.

Attachments

• Capture48.jpg
    Capture48.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Yes, you could do a backup/restore but I doubt it would be any faster than simply cutting and pasting. 100GB shouldn't take that long to trasfer from one internal drive to another. Start the copy operation before you go to back and let it run while you're sleeping.

Yes, you could do a backup/restore but I doubt it would be any faster than simply cutting and pasting. 100GB shouldn't take that long to trasfer from one internal drive to another. Start the copy operation before you go to back and let it run while you're sleeping.

Hi strollin, yes I thought that I could let it run whilst I am doing something else. My pc goes into some sort of 'sleep mode' after a while. Will I need to turn this off so that it doesn't interrupt the process?

Hi! Great to hear! Thanks for your feed back. Macrium is a great tool. It has never let me down and I have restored images many times. It has worked perfectly ever time.
I wish everyone would learn to use a program like Macrium. It would make their computer lives much simpler.
Gary!!

I mentioned in post#6 above that I had successfully done a clone of my data and it all checked out fine. However, this morning I had a look at the drive in Macrium, and it just doesn't look right to me. Although all of the data is there, the illustration of the drive doesn't look right. I thought that I had made the disk into a single partition but I'm not sure now that I have.

Is it possible that someone could have a look at my link below and offer their thoughts please. Many thanks.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx258/bluenose1940/Computer/Disk List_3_zpseyt9mdsg.png

Back
Top Bottom