Suitable desk

emperor76

In Runtime
Sorry I've had to put this here, feel free to move this if there's a more suitable section, but the closest section I could find was general electrical's, and it's obviously not electrical, I'm assuming given the nature of the forum, it's a problem someone's came across at some point.

I have a small area where I'm able to put a desk for my computer, not measured exactly yet, but it looks about three foot in width.

Since my computer is for gaming, I have quite a large case (haf 922), every desk I've tried struggles to fit the case on, the one I have only just gets the feet at the front of the case mostly on.

To make matters worse, there's a shelf at the bottom to put the base unit on, which means I can't pull the chair further in, to say keeping my legs bent there is uncomfortable is an understatement.

I've since cleared everything to the left of the computer off so I can rest my feet on the shelf, but still, after a few hours of Dragon Age, my legs feel like they've been attacked by an angry wild dog.

Are there any good desks out there to house this case with a limited amount of space to fit it in, that can make an average sized human reasonably comfortable at a reasonable price? thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
3 feet? 36 inches? WHOA My TV is bigger than that.
I don't think you're going to find a solution to a large computer box, a screen, and a keyboard/mouse that's going to fit in 36 inches. Unless that's a cubby and you can build something in there. Where else in the place could you set up?

I know This isn't going to help you but it might serve to get those old creative juices flowing.
I have roughly an 8 foot by 8 foot area to have my computer goodies and a place to work on my models. I put an 8 foot banquet table on the common wall to the bath room and a 6 foot about 3 feet in front of it. Works great.

attachment.php

Added some shelves later on and problem of space resolved.

attachment.php

Run up to the computer station thread in the gallery forum and see what some of the guys did when pressed for space.

Last edited:
3 feet? 36 inches? WHOA My TV is bigger than that.
I don't think you're going to find a solution to a large computer box, a screen, and a keyboard/mouse that's going to fit in 36 inches. Unless that's a cubby and you can build something in there. Where else in the place could you set up?

The plus side is my monitor is only 22" which suits me fine as it's right in front of me, the 40" tv is behind me so I can connect the wireless keyboard and mouse play games on the tv if it's a game I can use a control pad for, space is very limited, it's not a tiny house, it's three bedrooms, but I have 2 kids, the only other place I could put it, is about the same size, and I was planning on getting a desk and setting up my C64 or Atari ST there with a tv. so I fear I may be screwed, it doesn't have to fit on a monitor that's bigger than 22", like you say, it's a big box, so I'm going to struggle, I'll just run and get a tape measure and double check though

Just measured, it's worse than I thought, 90cm, Try your best not to laugh at my predicament, okay you can laugh if you want, I'll just make my way to the nearest bridge now

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Computer Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1439037275624.jpg
    1439037275624.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I live in a hotel room at the home office of the company I retired from. It's 32 deep by 15 feet wide. I feel your pain.

If the cables reach pull the box out and put it against the right wall where it turns in to the cubby.

I live in a hotel room at the home office of the company I retired from. It's 32 deep by 15 feet wide. I feel your pain.

If the cables reach pull the box out and put it against the right wall where it turns in to the cubby.

Ouch, reminds me of when I lived in a council flat and I had a mattress slightly smaller than my bedroom with a dining chair next to it with an old tv and a Master System 2 on top (okay, the Master system was pretty cool).

This sound like a brilliant idea, the only problem I have is my girlfriend doesn't like cables, or big computers, if she had her way, we'd have no desk and just a laptop,

She goes mad about the 5.1 surround system I have set up because of the wires, if I move the base unit there, I fear she may decapitate me, although I shall run the idea by her when she gets home from work

Last edited:
You could always draw out the dimensions you're after and have a custom one made! Or to solve the leg room issue you put the desktop at the top (disclaimer: don't let it drop on your head ok), and either put the DVD drive lower down, or mount it upsidedown and flip your case upsidedown so it's at a more convenient height.

I have an idea on how you can use that desk. Move the bottom plate up over your lap.

I have to have my space, especially with my computer. I had to use a tiny corner desk once upon a time and it drove me nuts. I now use a 6' buffet table.

Here's an old pic taken with a very crappy phone. The bookcase is still there but all the storage bins are not. I have the same setup excluding the mouse (upgraded to a Func MS-3). The 15" LCD was for use when I was working on someone's computer so it is in the closet now.

Attachments

• My Desk.jpg
    My Desk.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 7
You could always draw out the dimensions you're after and have a custom one made! Or to solve the leg room issue you put the desktop at the top (disclaimer: don't let it drop on your head ok), and either put the DVD drive lower down, or mount it upsidedown and flip your case upsidedown so it's at a more convenient height.

I have considered custom made idea as someone my girlfriend works with is actually really good with wood and makes desk, but apparently he charges quite a lot for them and makes them out of quality wood, but it is an idea that's been in the back of my mind.

The idea about putting the computer higher up is a good idea, I like it, I am a little careful with base units high up, about ten years ago, an old open base unit fell off the top bunk of a bed while I was sat below, it hit and cut open my elbow, I still have the scar from that, cases can be bloody sharp, at least it wasn't my head I suppose.

Off your idea I could try and get a proper wall mount of some sort so it can be safely put up there, although the sight of a HAF 922 just above me while I'm gaming I can imagine would be a little daunting.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

I have an idea on how you can use that desk. Move the bottom plate up over your lap.

Do you mean the shelf the base unit is sat on, if so, that is a possibility if I could remove it, I have removed annoying parts of desks before, although the desk did become quite a lot more unstable, if I moved that and had my feet on the floor, it'd be a damn sight more comfortable

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom