Can anyone explain this?

xandreu

Beta member
Hi guys, I have just signed up to this forum in the hope that one of you might be able to shed some light on something that's freaked me out a bit. Sorry if the story is a little long but I need to explain the whole story.

So I went over my friends house and he gave me a sealed, unopened Surface Pro 3. I opened it while I was at his house and connected it to his home wifi to have a little play with it. My friend did not use the device at all.

I then went home and installed Windows 10 on it, as a clean, fresh install, telling it not to save any files or settings. I then installed all the programs I wanted.

Everything was fine for a few days but last night I tried to use Facebook on Chrome but it wasn't working very well so I decided to try it on the Edge browser. I hadn't used Edge up until this point.

I went to the Facebook login page and in the username there was a telephone number already typed in there as well as a password (showing as black circles). I thought this was odd so I clicked to log in and found myself inside my friends Facebook account (the friend who had given me the Surface).

I phoned my friend to ask how this could have happened and he says he has no idea. He said he never uses his phone number to log into Facebook, only his email address. But he said he's never touched my Surface anyway, and I believe him. And I know for sure he hadn't used it since I installed WIndows 10 as he lives 50 miles away from me.

This has freaked me out a little. I can't for the life of me work out how this could have happened and was hoping someone on here might be able to throw some light on it. I can only assume some sort of hacking has taken place, but how or why?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what's happened?

When you say you did a fresh install of Windows 10, was it an upgrade over the top? This is really strange and I've never come across it before, might be worth raising it with Microsoft on their forum if you can.

I don't think you can really get standalone Win10 yet, so I'm going to assume that you did the upgrade via windows update like most of us did:-

When you purchase a Windows 8.1 machine running an OEM version, you normally sign in with a microsoft account. all I can think of in that respect is that some trace of his microsoft account lingers on there somehow. Perhaps as Cel said could have been his home wifi initiating some kind of sync with another windows machine on the network, or perhaps if he ordered it straight from microsoft it came with his account details already on it?

When using an MS account, things like Wifi passwords are synced between machines. I've never heard of Facebook credentials being synced but I guess it's possible if the userid and pw are saved as cookies.

And as you have not responded yet, all I can tell you is learn a LOT about Windows 10 through google so that you can change that information.

Back
Top Bottom