no network link

tekinew

Beta member
hi,
I used to have a network of 4 xp machines and 1 printer working fine. I have changed 2 computers to windows 7 and one of them will not connect to the network (homegroup).
I get the message "ipv6 needs enabling" but when I check, both ipv4 and ipv6 have a tick in their box.
When I look at the internet "open network and sharing centre" it tells me "ipv6 conectivity no network access"

I have checked and un checked the ipv6 box but nothing changes.
any advice would be most welcome.

tekinew

When I look at the internet "open network and sharing centre" it tells me "ipv6 conectivity no network access"
I believe that's what it's supposed to say.
What do you see in devise manager??

Attachments

• Capture48.jpg
    Capture48.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
XP and W7 have different name for the group. One is homegroup and the other is workgroup. They have to match.

It's telling you ipv6 is not enabled on your network. If you're using a router as the network hub check to see if the ipv6 feature is enabled.

I have renamed all computers to homegroup following microsofts instruction video. The system worked fine until the w7 machines were installed and one of them works fine. The one at fault is the one with the printer connected so I may change this connection to another machine and see what happens.All this is happening in my local LDS family history centre so I cannot get at them until Thursday I am goint ot try all suggestions then.
Thanks to all who gave sugestions
Bernard

I haven't come across an IPv6 error yet in Windows. Majority of home routers still use IPv4 for local addressing..

wow so much help.I wish I could get at the computers to try everything.
Thanks I will log on to the forum at the lds on Thursday and try a few ideas.

There are 2 separate types of Windows home networks you can use. There is a Homegroup which is only available in Win 7 and newer Windows versions, and there is the older network, called a Workgroup that can be used by machines running Windows for Workgroups or newer.

When you setup a Homegroup, you don't name anything, it's simply called Homegroup. When you setup a Workgroup, you can name it anything you want but all machines in the Workgroup must use the same name. You can name the Workgroup HOMEGROUP or WORKGROUP ot JOESGROUP. It doesn't matter what you name it as long as all machines use the same name.

Hi tekinew! You can always expect the best form Computerforums. We have the best and the friendliest people on the web. No big ego's here. Just good people that work as a team to help our members the best we can.
Tell your friends about us!!
Gary
Good luck Thursday !

Back
Top Bottom