Need help with choosing power cable for GPU

roxas76927

Solid State Member
I've a gtx 750 ti oc 2gb gpu. My psu is a 550 watt with only one peripheral power (molex) connector available (it supplies 12v at 24 Amp) . The gpu needs 150 watt ( 12v and 20 amp) of power. Should I connect a single molex to 6 pin connector on the gpu or should I go for a dual molex to 6 pin? (I'll use a Y splitter on the existing molex connector to split it) please help!

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Computer Forums mobile app

Wait, So you are gonna split the only molex you have left into 2 connections.
One connection for the graphic card and then the other for something else?
I'll not recommend that.

However a single molex to PCI power cord without any splitting should work on that card.

What PSU do you have? (brand and name)
I am guessing a PSU upgrade would also be in order if you don't have any PCI cords.
You properly have and old or cheap PSU.

Last edited:
Yeah a PSU upgrade is in order. If the 12 volt rail only puts out 24 amps and the card draws 20, you're going to be starving the rest of the system. Get one that's modular.

@bikerecho I couldn't find a single molex to 6 pin connector. Tell me if u can use a dual molex to 6 pin connector like this... Connecting one male to the female molex of psu and leaving the other male empty?

@setishock omg! O_O if that's the case then I'd better replace my card while it's still in the return policy. I currently don't want to go for a psu upgrade.. Thanks for the quick info bro! 👍 👍

A good PSU is not going to break the bank. You just have to shop carefully then buy. Are you in the US?

No I stay out of the US. I stay in India.

---------- Post added at 05:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 AM ----------

And btw this gpu needs only 150 watt. Someone said it draws only 75 from the 6 pin connector so I was wondering if it'll work or not. Can someone clarify this doubt plz?

Currently in it I have a galaxy nvidia geforce gt 730 2GB DDR3 card. It needs no pci connector. The specification tells that the pc needs a minimum of 300 watt power. Mine is a 550 watt one..

Attachments

• 1439183436271.jpg
    1439183436271.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom