Need Help With Booting Up From CD On My Computer.

Fireguns

Beta member
I actually noticed this problem 2 days ago when I went to reinstall Windows 7, but I was successfully able to do it in my OS. Then cause of the weekness of my CPU which is Pentium 4, I was going to put Windows Xp on a sepret partician to use so I can use Fl Studio 11. And I can't side install Windows & because it will say on the lines of "This Version Of Windows Can't Be Installed On Your Computer Cause The One Your Using Is Newer". So I have a DVD/RW drive and a CD drive which I tried both and they don't want to boot and I made sure that the disk drives were first to boot up. And theres nothing wrong with either of the Windows 7 or Windows Xp disks they both are clean of scratches and tried all different CDs like Linux Ubuntu, Windows 2000, and Windows 95. The Windows 7, Xp, and 2000 are genuine, and Ubuntu the only way you can get it is by burning it so I'm not sure that there is anything wrong with the disks. So can anybody please help me and sorry if I didn't mention it my computer is a Dell Dimension 4600i.

Keep tapping F12 when the PC boots, I'm sure that's the "boot option" menu for the Dell Dimension 4600. When the menu comes up, select CD (or DVD) drive and it should boot.

I've tried that but it doesn't want to start it runs when the somputer starts up when it says Dell and BIOS version then it goes black right before the boot up of windows 7 it all the sudden stops and when its shows the cursor display then it all the sudden wants to run again. I'm sure it might be something wrong in the BIOS that I might be not knowing of.

Hi Fireguns! Joe is right about F12. Are you saving the changes?? It is also possible that your DVD drive is not reading the disk. Does it read the disk? Try a music disc to see if it's reading a disc!http://smallbusiness.chron.com/types-of-businesses-to-start/
How to Start Up a Dell Computer by CD

by Shawn McClain, Demand Media

Always Boot to CD First

Step 1Restart your Dell computer.

Step 2Watch the screen for the blue "DELL" logo. As soon as you see this, press the "F2" button. After a few seconds, the BIOS screen will appear.

Step 3Press the "Down" cursor key until you are highlighting the "Boot Sequence" or "Boot Configuration" option, then press "Enter."

Step 4Press the "Down" cursor key until you are highlighting the CD drive. Press the "+" key until the drive moves to the top of the list.

Step 5Press "F10" to save your changes, then choose "OK" from the next menu. Now, whenever a bootable CD disc is in the drive, your Dell computer will boot using that CD instead of the hard drive.

Yes I did that before I even came here Ik what I'm doing for that part and yes its saved but none of my drives want to boot the installation disk of any kind. But there is one option that puzzles me a little bit that says "OS Install Mode" from the last time I used it though was maby over a year ago I can remember all it does is make my RAM temporarly 256 until I shut it off.

Hi! You say none of your drives want to boot the installation disk. Where did you get these disc??. What do they read if you just try to open them. Do you see any media on them. If your trying to set up dual boot, here's a good tutorial about that!!
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP - Windows 7 Help Forums

PS Here's what the media for windows 7 looks like! Do you see this on your W7 disk??

Attachments

• Capture48.jpg
    Capture48.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Your problem may be that your Dell system is proprietary. In other words, it will only boot from Dell OS disks.

If it did not come with a Dell OS disk then you probably have a hidden partition in your drive for the OS.

I can be wrong in all this but your problem suggests this.

I would doubt that an older dimension has anything proprietary preventing changing boot options. F12 should be the proper key for that model. If you are using a wireless or USB keyboard, try using a PS/2 keyboard, as sometimes the others do not activate quick enough for the BIOS to recognize the key press. Also try doing a factory reset on your BIOS settings if you haven't already. You should be able to get to the one-time boot menu and have an option for Disc drive, even if the discs you're using are bad.

If you bios has any sort of secure boot, quick boot, etc., turn them off. Look for legacy boot options, and turn on if it exists. Some BIOS's have a configurable timer for how long BIOS screen is displayed, if you have this turn it up to give yourself more time to press the keys.

There should be a Reset to Defaults option within the BIOS config. Which you can get into, right?

Back
Top Bottom