So.. How is Windows 10 going?

It's the most thorough operating system upgrade I've ever seen from Microsoft, I would anticipate teething problems. If you want a perfectly smooth installation then I would suggest you buy a new product key and perform a clean installation.

Nah just use the media creation tool to get an iso and make a bootable USB and clean upgraded that way. But remember you have to upgrade first before you can do a clean install that the key is stored in your PC and shouldn't have any trouble activating.

If it where not for the fact that we have multiple users on this computer, and the fact that it does NOT do well will multiple accounts, I would have loved it. If I where the only user for a computer I promase you I would have it installed.

It's the most thorough operating system upgrade I've ever seen from Microsoft, I would anticipate teething problems. If you want a perfectly smooth installation then I would suggest you buy a new product key and perform a clean installation.
Hi Joe! Not sure how a new product Key would help, but maybe it would???:hide:

Do you use the device "speakers", and does it hurt to always use the device "audio card"?

If respectively no and yes, then right click on the speaker's icon on the task bar (next to the clock and date), choose "playback devices" and disable all sound devices you don't need and only leave your "audio card".

Try it, it won't hurt. You can re-enable what you disabled by a right click then "show disabled devices".

Did you try changing the compatibility setting for it to something specific above Win98/ME?

It's what we are here for, help each other and seek help. Sharing is caring :)

I found out, and opposite to what the Media Creation Tool says, that running the ISO inside Windows does not ask for a key, and it did give the option to do a fresh install deleting everything. I however did that inside an upgraded Windows 10. Right now I'm doing it on another computer but this time on a not yet upgraded Windows 7. It is about 25% done now and no key was requested. Installing this way, it is still saying upgrading. I'll update with the results once it is done.

A boot fresh install is always better, I believe, but it is just the product key issue that's a source of worrying.

Further to my above post, downloading the ISO once could save you future troubles of re-installing. Just make sure of the edition and version of Windows matching your current Windows; e.g. Win10 Pro x64.

Hi, sorry this is a late reply, I actually planned to reply when I had time and forgot, I found out I could open the driver disk to view files and go to the individual setup files within the disk and install them separately, it was just the express setup that wouldn't work, I did try various compatibility options to no avail.

---------- Post added at 02:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 AM ----------

One additional comment, during the clean install, skip the part where it asks you to input a key (you won't have a key to enter anyway), your copy will still get activated.

Thanks, that's a very good point, I completely forgot to mention that part.

I've upgraded our Acer Touchscreen this afternoon and it upgraded without a hitch. Only thing was when the sound was enabled Windows decided to use the default as microphone or something similar from a piece of software someone has installed and uses but all working fine now. Currently in the process of downloading it for my Mum's little HP laptop.

Have the same set up Acer touchscreen manufactured last year. No problems with the upgrade or with the computer now. All drivers are working as they should.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

I just wanted to bring this back from the dead. I had a phone call from my Grandparents the other day who've been back nearly a month now from traveling interstate. They said when they got to Melbourne is where you get off the ferry at they wanted to check their emails, So they powered their laptop up and fired up the internet dongle. They had problems and then they went to Telstra and they managed to get it working. After that they got to where they were staying and switched the laptop on and Microsoft decided to force Windows 10 to download and install so that would've eaten all their data up. Anyway when they got home and rang me they said it looked different and didn't want to use their laptop until I looked at it and talked them through. Thankfully they still have their Toshiba Vista based laptop they can use.

They aren't very good with technology and always cautious. I'll be going up at the weekend so I can check things over then.

Back
Top Bottom