Cant get monitor off power saving mode.

Thank you all for you replies.

I checked the pins on the VGA cord and they all seem to be in perfect condition.I will see if i an get a new VGA cord and see if that helps.If not then it will be the monitor that has the issue,wouldn't it?

The beeping from the computer is constant for about five minutes with one beep,then three beeps in quick succession then another quick three and then one,and then repeats.(like 1 123 1 123 1 beeps)

I actually got the computer from a shop bellow my apartment that was being renovated,the landlord was trowing everything in a skip that belonged to the previous tenant so he had no information on the computer.But it looks in very good condition.

Thanks for your help.

The beeps you are getting are almost definitely a BIOS beep code. There is a hardware problem and the computer is failing POST. Codes vary by BIOS manufacturer but I think Long-Short-Short-Short usually refers to memory error, or video card error.

Reseat your RAM modules. If you have more then one module, try with just one or the other. If the computer has a discrete video card, reseat that aswell. If that doesn't work, see if you can borrow a video card and plug that into a PCIE slot and test.

If you're still not able to get any output on the monitor with a different computer, perhaps you have 2 separate issues here.I would try to procure a known good monitor, and continue testing with that.

Last edited:
You know a good clue to follow up on it where he states the landlord was tossing things in to a skip. For you non euro types, a skip is a frontend loader with a stinger on the back.
Ok so impact damages. Let's go down this highway for a minute. The impact may have cause mem card, cpu, graphics card, and other items that plug in to get jarred lose.
Pop the hood and take a look. You're not going to know otherwise. You need a #2 Phillips head screw driver.

Update: I Google the Dell beep codes. According to the codes, this board has some major issues. You have to scroll down the page a bit to get to the beep codes. There's the triple and 4 digit codes and the single digit codes are right under them.
http://en.community.dell.com/suppor...ktop/3624.beep-codes-and-psa-diagnostic-chart

Last edited:
Thanks Guys.

@Crazyman143,
I will try your suggestions thank you ,i'm new to this so i will research how to proceed.

@setishock,apologies i should have stated that the computer was destined for the skip,it was on the shop floor so had been moved around a bit though.It does seem in very good condition but it could have taken some knocks,i will try your suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom