Windows back up feature!!

Have you tried renaming that file/folder to not include "!!"? some programs don't like special characters like that.

Hi setishock! Thanks for the link. I have already been there. It's not a big deal Rich because like you said, I already have the best imaging program with Macrium Reflect.
It's just that I like to have things work and I hate it when I can't get them to work right. Here's my specs setishock!

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
Have you tried renaming that file/folder to not include "!!"? some programs don't like special characters like that.
Hi celegorm! Not sure what you're suggesting?? Not sure what file/folder I should rename. The file that it skips is C:\Users\Gary\Desktop\Macrium.
I assume that is the file that is causing the error.
I already deleted it!
Gary!

Attachments

• Capture49.jpg
    Capture49.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
What if you change the backup settings andremove the desktop folder from the backup, run a backup and then re-add the desktop folder. Might force it to rescan that directory?

Like celegorm suggested it just could be that the backup program doesn't deal with odd characters. With the loosening up of file name characters you can get pretty creative with names. But considering this software is long in the tooth, it may not have had its legitimate characters database updated.

Personally I'd go in to turn on and off windows features, and turn it off. I personally don't want something that doesn't work right and MS has not bothered to maintain.

Hey Back as promised! Sorry crazyman! No cigars! Same old thing! Here are my thoughts. Microsoft know they have a problem with the back up feature. They have known it for years. They don't have anyone smart enough to fix it. Even W10 has the same problem. I was hoping that the up grade would fix it, but it's still the same.
I'll try any thing suggested. I'm a survivor and I don't give up easily!
Gary!!

Last edited:
Personally I'd go in to turn on and off windows features, and turn it off. I personally don't want something that doesn't work right and MS has not bothered to maintain.
That's probably the best answer. It's just another way to have to bail you out of trouble. I can live without it. It just drives me crazy that Microsoft doesn't seem to care or maybe they aren't smart enough or maybe they don't want to hog the market and get complaints from other imaging programs like Macrium. That's the file it picks out to not back up.
Gary!!

Hey Back as promised! Sorry crazyman! No cigars! Same old thing! Here are my thoughts. Microsoft know they have a problem with the back up feature. They have known it for years. They don't have anyone smart enough to fix it. Even W10 has the same problem. I was hoping that the up grade would fix it, but it's still the same.
I'll try any thing suggested. I'm a survivor and I don't give up easily!
Gary!!
When you run the backup with that folder removed, does it skip over it without the error? Or do you still get it?

EDIT:

this microsoft article basically suggests the same thing of manually removing it from the backup https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/979281 Lame solution. They also suggest creating the folder/file it's looking for and then running backup. Possibly try creating the folder it wants, run the backup, and if it succeeds then remove the folder?

But basically we're just catering to windows backup's glitchiness.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom