Suspect Virus, But Can't Identify with AV and Malware Bytes

jakeny

Baseband Member
My computer seems slower than normal, but after running my Avast scan and free version of Malwarebytes, I didn't return anything bad.

Yet, I have a weird feeling that I may have contracted something while online the past month. I had a few incidents where I clicked on the wrong website links to things, ads on pages by accident, and another where I clicked an image on accident.

I'm wondering if anyone's ever been in this situation where they suspect something is wrong, but can't find it? What can be done (if anything)?

Thanks so much guys!

Hi! I'm sure you will get some good suggestions. These are the programs I scan my PC with for malware. Some say I'm shooting every thing at the problem. I say so what??
Here's the order I run the programs!
https://www.malwarebytes.org/antirootkit/
Download AdwCleaner - MajorGeeks
https://www.malwarebytes.org/products/
ESET Online Scanner
About Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) | Junkware Removal Tool

If that doesn't clean your PC up, you may need to check your hardware.
You can do a Memory diagnostic and a chkdsk.
Let me know if you need help with checking your hardware.
Other members here will help you also. Don't settle for a slow computer!!
Optimize Windows for better performance - Windows Help

Last edited:
Hi! I'm sure you will get some good suggestions. These are the programs I scan my PC with for malware. Some say I'm shooting every thing at the problem. I say so what??
Here's the order I run the programs!
https://www.malwarebytes.org/antirootkit/
Download AdwCleaner - MajorGeeks
https://www.malwarebytes.org/products/
ESET Online Scanner
About Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) | Junkware Removal Tool

If that doesn't clean your PC up, you may need to check your hardware.
You can do a Memory diagnostic and a chkdsk.
Let me know if you need help with checking your hardware.
Other members here will help you also. Don't settle for a slow computer!!
Optimize Windows for better performance - Windows Help

Thanks for the recs. I'll look into them. Some have been suggested to me in the past as well.

Would you recommend buying the "pay" version of Malware Bytes? I wondered about it earlier, b/c I had assumed the free version wasn't as exhaustive.

I just get the sense that Avast may be missing something in it's scans. I definitely know my computer is not only slower (esp. browsing internet), but also freezes screens a lot.

Would you recommend buying the "pay" version of Malware Bytes? I wondered about it earlier, b/c I had assumed the free version wasn't as exhaustive.
Hi! The free version will remove the malware. The paid version will keep the malware from getting on your PC in the first place. I'm fortunate as I have the life time license.
It's just another layer of security to add to your Anti-Virus program. If your a safe suffer, you probably won't need the paid version.
If your PC is freezing a lot, then that's a problem.
Here's a good link for that!!
Windows freezes or stops responding.

To make sure, I would like to see a log file that will help all of us. (Oh, and I know that gut feeling... better to ask and be wrong, then to not ask and be right!)

Lets start with the basics. Please click this link to download HijackThis.
Once installed, click "Scan and save a log file".
Please post that log file to us. It will not contain any personal information, so no need to worry. For your safity I must tell you not to delete anything that HijackThis has checked. You should not see that, but if you do, please do not delete anything without knowing. Sorry, but that must be said because I have seen quite a few users delete everything thinking that it was an anti-malware program.

I doubt that there are any problems, but this will give us better info than normal scanning.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Hi! The free version will remove the malware. The paid version will keep the malware from getting on your PC in the first place.
The free version of Avast does both. The paid version includes a Firewall, Parental Control ect...

Freezing? That's an indication of hardware or driver issues. Or it could be as simple as it's getting hot in the box and you need to pop open the case and play Suzy Homemaker. Dust till you drop.
Canned air, box of Q-tips, and a horsehair brush works wonders. Don't use a nylon brush as it creates static electricity.

Clean all fan blades and anything that has a heat sink on it. Then blow it all out with the canned air. No vacuum cleaners or air from a compressor. Those are serious no no's.
Make sure you blow out the video card heat sink and clean its fan good. Graphics cards get hot when working hard so keeping that clean is a must.
And make sure you blow out the power supply. Dust can blanket the components and make it run hot.

Check your drivers to make sure they are up to date for your vid card. It's not always virus or malware. Some times you have to look at the hardware.

To make sure, I would like to see a log file that will help all of us. (Oh, and I know that gut feeling... better to ask and be wrong, then to not ask and be right!)

Lets start with the basics. Please click this link to download HijackThis.
Once installed, click "Scan and save a log file".
Please post that log file to us. It will not contain any personal information, so no need to worry. For your safity I must tell you not to delete anything that HijackThis has checked. You should not see that, but if you do, please do not delete anything without knowing. Sorry, but that must be said because I have seen quite a few users delete everything thinking that it was an anti-malware program.

I doubt that there are any problems, but this will give us better info than normal scanning.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

The free version of Avast does both. The paid version includes a Firewall, Parental Control ect...

Hi, D

I don't mind doing a log file to post here, but merely would like to ask if some others could confirm that this would be safe for me (as in it wouldn't show you guys some personal info. or sensitive info. that could allow someone to harm me in any way). I know that's a bit paranoid!!! hahaha. But, honestly, I just feel safer that way. It's not that I don't trust you, but just like to double, triple check things if you know what I mean.

I appreciate the recommendation, however!

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Freezing? That's an indication of hardware or driver issues. Or it could be as simple as it's getting hot in the box and you need to pop open the case and play Suzy Homemaker. Dust till you drop.
Canned air, box of Q-tips, and a horsehair brush works wonders. Don't use a nylon brush as it creates static electricity.

Clean all fan blades and anything that has a heat sink on it. Then blow it all out with the canned air. No vacuum cleaners or air from a compressor. Those are serious no no's.
Make sure you blow out the video card heat sink and clean its fan good. Graphics cards get hot when working hard so keeping that clean is a must.
And make sure you blow out the power supply. Dust can blanket the components and make it run hot.

Check your drivers to make sure they are up to date for your vid card. It's not always virus or malware. Some times you have to look at the hardware.

Yeah, it varies from say...5 seconds to maybe as long as 90 seconds or so. It's where I can't move my mouse and the screen just stays the same without moving/updating. It happens ohhhh once a day? I'll look into your recommendations as well!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom