Networking Challenge: too many cooks?

apetay

Solid State Member
Found a great guide on this forum for water-cooling, but I'm not finding any guides for networks.

I have been experiencing intermittent connectivity since I signed up with the cable provider. We replaced the modem and router to upgrade to N and Docsis 3.0. My wife insisted we did not broadcast, and I resolved that. We were constantly getting DNS PROBE: no interweb. I have switched the switches and toggled and troubleshot and rebooted all the devices, and checked both network devices software for defaults and firmware. The network is still occasionally rebooting itself, and windows is behaving funny (sometimes I get the yellow triangle, even when I am clearly connected, sometimes it doesn't see the network at all).The guy came out and tested the lines for Db ratings, and said we we're fine. I can post those if need be.

Cisco DPC3008
Netgear DNDG3700
3 x win 7 pc's, 2 WAN & one wired that I'd rather swap to wireless (have card)
2 x android 4.4.2
1 kindle
and sometimes a friend or 2's computer in for hardware repair
maybe someday we'll put the xbox 360 and Wii back on

I put the 3 androids separate on the 5GHz band.

Should I just make all the devices forget the network, and start from scratch? Should I abandon 5G all together?

Someone mentioned that I should switch to static Ip addresses, but the cable company said that I cannot.

Do I need to list all the adapters on the devices?

I apologize, but I need a walk-through...

:confused::mad::blink::angry::pcmad::banghead:
:nonono::eek:

Ok I'm going to focus on this first as it's simple and might make a difference: "DNS PROBE: no interweb"

I"m thinking your ISP's DNS, like most ISP's DNS servers, are crap. The easy way to test this is to go into your router and manually set your DNS severs and not have it auto-detect from your ISP. I use Google's DNS servers myself without issue:

Primary: 8.8.8.8
Secondary: 8.8.4.4.

After switching reboot all the devices and give it a shot.

I have tried ipconfig /renew /release and /flushdns in cmd (admin).

DNS Probe isn't popping up anymore now that we are broadcasting, but I've still got intermittent connectivity. I will try manually setting the DNS and report back.

Back
Top Bottom