if you upgrade to Win 10 from a OEM Win 8 Computer be aware

Okay, I can confirm this much:
Using an ISO created by the Media Creation Tool to install Windows 10 over Windows 7 of the same edition with either option "keep everything" or "only keep personal files" does not not ask for a key. There is a third option to wipe everything, but I didn't try it. I think the option "only keep personal files" is too good to "delete everything" over it.

This conflicts with the note the Media Creation Tool mentions when you attempt to create the ISO (or the flash disk, but I did not go with this) which is "have a product key ready for it".

I just tried it with a never upgraded Windows 7 Home x64 laptop and it says Windows is activated.

I have a feeling MS screwed up and bluffed while Windows 10 installation never really asks for a product key even on boot fresh installs? Or maybe so just on systems with an upgradable Windows thrown somewhere in the computer?

Hmm...
Here's a thought! Maybe W10 is smart enough to know you had the Key.
I don't know. I'm just happy with the free up grade and I'm really liking this W10 OS. Haven't found any thing I dislike yet!! Notice I said yet.:D
Gary!

The upgrade did not ask me for a product key number. I now have a brand new Key with W10!!

As I do. So far Windows 10 is ok.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

The upgrade did not ask me for a product key number. I now have a brand new Key with W10!!

I was writing about adding features the product key is not asked for.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

Back
Top Bottom