Cant get monitor off power saving mode.

mesuzmo

Solid State Member
Hi there,

I got a second hand Dell desktop.Everything seems to be working fine but on the monitor it says in power save mode on the screen:'press any key on keyboard or move the mouse'.I tried pressing a key and nothing is happening which made me think the keyboard is not working.I moved the mouse(i know this is working because it works on my laptop)and still it says in power save mode.seems such a simply thing but i can get passed it.Is there something simple i can do to enter?

Thank you so much!

Sounds like the monitor is not receiving a signal from the computer, so it's going into standby mode. What type of inputs does the monitor have, and which are you using? (VGA, HDMI, DVI, etc) Some monitors switch input modes automatically, some have a button for this. Can you check that the monitor is on the correct input? Check that all of your connections are good and reboot the desktop. Or try using a different display output on the desktop if available.

Report back and we can troubleshoot further. Also provide model of your dell and the monitor, if possible.

And welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Sounds like the monitor is not receiving a signal from the computer, so it's going into standby mode. What type of inputs does the monitor have, and which are you using? (VGA, HDMI, DVI, etc) Some monitors switch input modes automatically, some have a button for this. Can you check that the monitor is on the correct input? Check that all of your connections are good and reboot the desktop. Or try using a different display output on the desktop if available.

Report back and we can troubleshoot further. Also provide model of your dell and the monitor, if possible.

And welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the reply and the welcome crazyman143!

The input i'm using is VGA.i have only two inputs at the back of my monitor,one VGA input and the other is the monitor power cable..So it could be possible that my VGA cable is not working correctly?Do i only need these two inputs for the computer to work properly?

My monitor model is E173fpc and the computer model is M12WD2140

The graphics on the computer is not outputting a signal to the monitor so the monitor goes to sleep. Connect the monitor up to the computer you used to post here and see if it wakes up. If it does then either the cable is bad, connected wrong, or the graphics on the computer is dead.
By the way. Is the computer power light on? Is the hard drive light doing anything?

The monitor might not be on the right video input format. Bring up the monitor menu and verify.

What are your power settings on your computer set as? If the computer itself is going into sleep mode then the monitor will do likewise.

setishoch is dead on the money, though.

Thanks for the replies.

I connected the monitor to my laptop.It is still saying in power saving mode.Would this mean that the monitor is not working or it could still be the VGA cable?

On the computer Itself there is 2 lights.I think one is for the power and i'm not sure what the other on is.The power light is on but the other light is not.

Also when i turn on the computer there is multiple beeping for a few minutes.Is this indicating a problem?

Last edited:
Hi! My Toshiba laptop has a RGB Monitor port. I think this is true about that port!!
In most cases the output is a BNC type connector. It takes a special monitor with RGB inputs to function properly. There are available RGB converters to interface either way, from RGB to composite video or composite to RGB. Whatever the flavor you need, RGB provides a bit better resolution especially for the bigger displays.
[/

Thanks for the replies.

I connected the monitor to my laptop.It is still saying in power saving mode.Would this mean that the monitor is not working or it could still be the VGA cable?

On the computer Itself there is 2 lights.I think one is for the power and i'm not sure what the other on is.The power light is on but the other light is not.

Also when i turn on the computer there is multiple beeping for a few minutes.Is this indicating a problem?

Well next logical step is to replace the VGA cable with one you know is good. It's starting to look like the VGA cable heads may have a pin bent down or broken off. It happens. Most patch cables today are made as throw aways.

As for the beeping, oddly enough my HP dv6 laptop has taken up doing that. It was put up for almost a year so I suspect the CMOS battery is bad or the memory cards need to be taken out and the contacts cleaned.
You might want to pop out the memory cards one at a time and lightly run a pencil eraser over the contacts and put them back in. Make sure the locking clips mate up with the slots in the ends. Speaking of slots mind the mem cards have a slot in them that mates to a pin in the memory card slots. You'd be surprised how often people force a card in the wrong way breaking the pin then wonder why they don't work any more.

We'll get to the bottom of this just hang in there. OH YEAH! Ask the person you got that from if it was working just prior to them giving it to you. There's another idea I'm entertaining but I'll reserve judgment until you get an answer from them.

Last edited:
Hi I agree with setishock! Would like to add that the test to hook the monitor to your lap top may not be a good test as was stated in my above reply. As stated by setishock, pins do get bent and broken. You stated that this was a second hand Dell; so there is a very good chance that may be the the problem.
Quote from setishock!
We'll get to the bottom of this just hang in there.
We have a good team effort here and we work together to solve problems.
Gary!!

Back
Top Bottom