if you upgrade to Win 10 from a OEM Win 8 Computer be aware

Isn't windows 10 supposed to work off the cloud servers at M$? If you don't have an internet connection some things just don't work? Or they can see what you're doing?

Ah, this free upgrade does not ask for the key.

But how can I use add features to Windows 8.1 when the found product key does not work?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

You can use this command from within Parted Magic to generate the product key:

hexdump -s 56-e '"MSDM key: " /29 "%s\n"'/sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM

It works for me on Windows 8.1 every time.

Located the product key number with Speecy.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

I'd like to try and run Win 8.1 alongside 10 on my laptop and run Windows XP and 7 alongside 10 on my desktop, looks like I'll need to get new product keys to play with!

I'd like to try and run Win 8.1 alongside 10 on my laptop and run Windows XP and 7 alongside 10 on my desktop, looks like I'll need to get new product keys to play with!

You know, keys blow if OS's using the same key at the same time and the MS servers find out at that moment.

Hmm.. maybe using the same key won't hurt accordingly? Nuh-uh, there is a risk of losing the key in that.

I'll probably buy another or use my volume MSDN licence to get it. I think the licence key will expire from MSDN though when my subscription is no longer valid which is a bit of a pain though... maybe just worth biting the bullet and going straight for 10... can always downgrade if it's a big problem!

I have a feeling MS screwed up and bluffed while Windows 10 installation never really asks for a product key even on boot fresh installs? Or maybe so just on systems with an upgradable Windows thrown somewhere in the computer?

Hmm...

Back
Top Bottom