So.. How is Windows 10 going?

From Donetao's link:
If you've claimed a free upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8 to Windows 10 and want to perform a clean install, then you first have to physically upgrade your computer using our Windows 10 upgrade guide. Once your computer is running Windows 10, you can use our instructions in the upgrade guide to get its new licence key, which is different to your computer's existing key. You will need this key to perform the clean install.

So apparently, you get a brand new key specifically for use with win 10, and it's not just an upgrade key because it will perform clean installs. They say you can use produkey or any keyfinder tool to get it. That's cool if it's true. Thanks.

Hmm.. I did a clean install inside the upgraded Win10 from Win7 with the option of keeping personal files but remove Windows settings, with the ISO Media Creation Tool provided. I made sure it was the same version of Windows; i.e. x64 Pro. I got a clean Windows 10 and the setup did not ask for a key. That's weird cuz earlier in the setup it mentioned that I need to have a key ready. Maybe the key is needed only with a boot-able upgrade?

So many sayings about this. Some even say the same key of the old Windows becomes a Win10 key once the upgrade is done once and the upgraded Win10 shows it is activated.

Mine is working so far. It only took about 3 hours to upgrade from 8.1. It wiped my downloaded games I had. I am still getting a "Resolving Host" message on Google Chrome when the page is loading. It doesn't do it on Mozilla Firefox, so it is a Chrome bug they need to fix. Not sure I like the Edge browser, but at least things clean up faster now with CCleaner. Still have to try everything out for a month to see how it goes. Wouldn't give me the free trial of Office because I reset my laptop too many times. Said product key had expired. Other than that, everything just loads slow. XP3 Professional was the best OS they ever had. It was fast too. Time will tell.:cool:

The W10 ReadyBoost is a bee's knees. Lot faster than The ExpressCache I've been using and I don't have to click on it to run.

As soon as I hit the button, boom, it's ready. :)

Well so much for this joke about upgrades having come a long way. I upgraded 8.1 to 10 on a Dell 2300 All-in-One and could not control what I had. Right click functions disappeared, start menu took up 1/3 of the screen, left click on the desktop brought all kinds of windows open up I have never seen before. It took me 45 minutes to do the upgrade and return to Windows 8.1 was less than 5 minutes. I think for me it is going to have to be a clean install and from what I saw, there won't be much of a rush here!

Hi Rich! Very sorry to hear of your bad experience with the up grade. My up grade went very smooth. I couldn't believe it. I have found a few minor bugs with W10, but at this time, I'm thinking I made the right decision to upgrade to W10. I have already created two back up images with the new Macrium Reflect App. Things are going to well at this time. All Hell has to be about to break lose, but I'm prepared for the worst my friend and I'm sure you are also; so I'm not very worried about you.
I'm sure you will recover. Ain't it fun when xxxx happens and you have to figure out what went wrong??
PS The new Macrium free lets you restore without a rescue CD. How cool is that??
Just took it for a test drive and it worked. I'm a very happy camper right now. Lets see how long that will last. LOL
PS2 I know; I'm to windy, to friendly and off topic!!

Since I got some bugs worked out and all is well except for my DVD movie played on my system. Something about the audio not working right. Already upgraded the audio card and still the same.

It may be just this one DVD as I haven't tried the others. The Media Player doesn't recognize this DVD but the audio problem is on VLC. I have the latest version of VLC and it covers W10.

Another bug to work out. :facepalm:

I haven't upgraded my main laptop yet but may let it download over night. I am currently downloading updates so I can upgrade a Toshiba laptop.

Hi Bill! I haven't noticed any problems with WMP. I don't have VLC.
I'm sure you will get the problem solved friend! I have had a lot of problems with DVD's. I'm starting to think it's the manufacture. I just went through 5 disks trying to burn a Macrium recovering CD before I got one of them to burn. That really pxxxxx me off. The brand was Maxell. I won't be buying any more of that brand!!(DVD+R)

---------- Post added at 01:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 AM ----------

I haven't upgraded my main laptop yet but may let it download over night. I am currently downloading updates so I can upgrade a Toshiba laptop.
My Toshiba laptop up graded without any problems. I would rather be lucky than good any time.:D
:D
Gary!

Back
Top Bottom