Motherboard Dead?

Solopopo

Beta member
About a month ago my computer wouldn't turn on after being turned off. I ended up replacing and manually resetting the cmos battery, which worked. But recently my computer went to sleep on it's own and would not wake up. The power button was flashing, but I was getting nothing else from it. I pulled the power to turn it off, because it wasn't responding to me trying to turn it off with the button. Now the computer is not turning on. I'm not sure if pulling the plug made things worse. Maybe it was resetting for an update and I jumped the gun by unplugging it? The only response I have manged to get out of it now is the disk drive turning on when I do the paper clip test on the psu with everything else but the main 24 pin connector plugged in.

The computer worked fine for about 3 months leading up to the first time I couldn't get it started. I haven't changed anything since the first time I tried resetting the cmos.

Here is a list of everything I used to build my computer:

(mobo) Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com...
(psu) Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com...
(ram) Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com...
(hard drive) Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com...
(disk drive)Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com...
(case) Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com...
(video card)Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com...
Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com...

If it was me I'd try testing the power supply with a real tester if you can find one. Or just swap out the PSU with a known good one. Also I assume you have tested the actual power button? You can test that by using a paperclip to short the pins the button plugs into and it should turn on.

Solopopo, your links only showed the main page of Newegg. Not knowing what your components are I can't help troubleshoot your problem but it does suggest your PSU have a faulty rail. That may not be the case.

I would check for secure connections though. Go through the plugs and the slots to see that they are firmly attached. The cards should be seated where you cannot see the contacts.

If you have a built in buzzer on the motherboard (or one lying around you can plug in), unplug everything so you just have the power supply, motherboard, CPU and heatsink. If you touch the two power pins to start the PC (depicted below), does it beep? (POST)

connectedzm9.jpg

connectedzm9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom