Less of a question and more of a statement

apetay

Solid State Member
I really messed up this time, so here's another entry in the
"Don't Do As I Done Chronicles":

A couple years ago, I received a mobo, processor, case / PS, and water-cool parts for free from a friend, but I've been using a crappy gt220 I got on the cheap.

I finally got a new video card. So excited, because it was my first GTX (750 ti) and only $80, used.

I plugged it in to my Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 motherboard, and powered on. Got a message that the six pin wasn't plugged in, I've seen that before in builds I've done for others. No problem.

Here's where it gets horribly ugly. Because of where my supply (OCZ700mxsp) is mounted in, the 2 (red) video 8 pin modular plug ins were hidden behind part of the frame. All I could see were the four 6 pin to
molex / sata modulars...

Soooooooooo (not thinking) I stick a six pin to six pin pci connector wire I had lying around in one of the 6 pin receivers on the power supply and run it to my 6 pin video card...

Power on, and SIZzzzzzzzzZLE *POP*.

I fried the power supply and the mobo's PCI bus. There a visibly blown chip right by x16 #1. Though the mobo still powers on with a replacement PS, alas it displays no video.

The only saving grace is that this procedure somehow managed to NOT fry the video card, so I guess I got lucky there. Plugged it in to my boring DP55WB (that I paid way too much for) so I'm up and running again.

I'd be much more saddened if I had paid for the mobo and power supply, but it still is the best mobo I've ever owned and a nice enough PS...
I'm sad I killed 'em.

Don't do as I do folks. Pay attention.

I didn't realize it was so easy to make such a mistake. I'll try to keep that in mind. Sorry about your card.

Hey we have all been there. I have been buiding units now for 20 years and 15 of them for a living. One time I decided I wanted the fastest cpu known to man if only for a week I didn't care. I spent $650 for an Amd socket 939 top chip and damned if I can remember the model name. Right out of the box I did something I have never done before or since I bent 3 pins and one broke off making the cpu useless. Fortunately AMD employees have hearts and a tech took pity on me and replaced it for me.

Well that's kinda foolish of the PSU manufacturer to use identical plugs for different and incompatible parts.

No, this one was all my fault. I have no idea where I accumulated the incorrect cable, it was probably packaged with another power supply. My shop has had several back-ups for diagnosis and freebees that have come and gone on a semi-regular basis for several years now...

I constantly watch Craigslist's free section, & students at the local campus throw out incredible amounts of good working technology.

---------- Post added at 04:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 AM ----------

I didn't realize it was so easy to make such a mistake. I'll try to keep that in mind. Sorry about your card.

I didn't fry the card, just the power supply and the motherboard.
I imagine that cable was for another build from a few years back, but who knows. TIME TO CLEAN MY SPACE!!!

Hey we have all been there. I have been buiding units now for 20 years and 15 of them for a living. One time I decided I wanted the fastest cpu known to man if only for a week I didn't care. I spent $650 for an Amd socket 939 top chip and damned if I can remember the model name. Right out of the box I did something I have never done before or since I bent 3 pins and one broke off making the cpu useless. Fortunately AMD employees have hearts and a tech took pity on me and replaced it for me.

You gotta love AMD! I have known folks who worked for AMD and also Intel, and seen a little bit behind the curtains at both of their local offices here in town. The AMD people always seemed so laid back & happy, the Intel people were in what nearly looked like a concentration camp of cubicles...

:hide:

I won't say anything about what I saw at HP... except I will say I saw them behind the curtain too.

None of these guys at the big three ever had me sign any non-disclosure stuff!!! Seemed very unprofessional.

Loose lips, sink drips.

Back
Top Bottom