I spent all my bullets!!

Hi! Update! Called senior today. She got her tower back. The repairmen said there was nothing wrong with the hardware. Cleaned it up; which I had already done, and charged her 55$. Anyway she can get on the internet now and all is well. I have no clue why I couldn't get on the net. I did every thing I could think of. Maybe after unplugging the tower and taking it to the repair shop, the caps discharged and the memory cleared. Who knows?? If it ever happens again, I'll do a cold shut down and discharge the caps??? Anyone have a idea? I would really like to talk to that repairmen, but doubt if I ever get to!! OH well that's computer life in the big city! LOL. She is still baking me cookies and will bring them by one day this week!!

Be sure to save me some. :D

That would be something to keep in mind, doing a hard shut down and pulling the plug from the wall. Especially the plug because even if it's off the motherboard are staying alive by the PSU for the wake up calls.

Be sure to save me some. :D

That would be something to keep in mind, doing a hard shut down and pulling the plug from the wall. Especially the plug because even if it's off the motherboard are staying alive by the PSU for the wake up calls.
Now I think of it. I have solved some problems before by pulling the plug and holding down the power button for 20 seconds. It just didn't enter my mind. I fought the dang thing for six hours and tried every thing but a hard shut down. Where were you when I needed you Bill!!:rofl:

you did check the address right? (static vs DHCP)
could you ping the gateway?
did the routing table use the correct gateway and have correct default routes using the correct adapter?

you did check the address right? (static vs DHCP)
could you ping the gateway?
did the routing table use the correct gateway and have correct default routes using the correct adapter?
Hi root! Thanks for your question. Every thing looked good. The ISP helped me flush the DNS. The ISP is Sudden Link. They said they could see the modem and could tell that a PC was connected to the modem. They said the user should be able to connect to the net. They suggested malware. The PC was clean. The thing that really bothered me was there were several restore points, but none of them would work. I saw a message that the HDD was not recognized??? Ran a chkdsk and a SFC/ scannow. HDD was OK but the sfc showed some corrupted files that couldn't be repaired. I restored back to factory setting and still had the same problem. I told the senior it looked like a bad Ethernet adapter and that I don't work on hardware any more. I'm to old for those things. A repairman charged her 55$ and said he didn't find any hardware problems.
I'm going to run by there some time and see if the PC can restore to a earlier time. That is a very important feature. Also want to see if the sfc is OK after back to factory. If you have any suggestions for me, I would like to hear them.
Thanks for your reply!
Gary

when the ISP say that they can see that the PC is plugged in it really only means (say you're using a Cisco switch then they connect to the network device and type

show int eth0/1
that tells them that the port it either connected, or not connected or error disabled.

it doesn't tell them that your computer is working and has the correct IP address... it doesn't really tell them much more than you'd be able to tell by looking at the lights on the front/back or the router.

what I'm saying is. (for my home network).
machines are assigned addresses by DHCP
those addresses are 192.168.1.50 and up
the subnet is set by DHCP to 255.255.255.0
and the gateway is set by DHCP to 192.168.1.254

so when I get to the command prompt, and type ipconfig /all if I see anything other than 192.168.1.[50-253] as an address, I know that there is trouble, if I see anything other than 192.168.1.254 as the default gateway I know I'm in trouble, and the same, if there is anything other than 255.255.255.0 then something is amiss... if it doesn't say DHCP enabled : ...... YES then I know that the error is likely that I've statically assigned an address, and it's the wrong address.

from here I need to check, can I ping my local interface
type ping 192.168.1.51
can I ping the router ping 192.168.1.254

if the IP address settings are fine, then those should be OK.
if I can't ping the router from the same network as I'm plugged into then there is 1 of 4 problems.

1 - the cable is broken or not plugged in
2, the network adapter is broken
3, the router is broken
4, the routing table information on my computer is messed up and network traffic is being directed badly.
you can type route print to find that you.

next on the list of tests
can I ping an outside address ping 8.8.8.8

if I can't then why not?
(assuming then first tests are OK then it's one of two things)
1, my routing on my workstation is broke (weird route statements sending packets out the wrong interface or to gateways that don't exist, (again use route print)

2, the router is not connected to the Internet.

most routers have admin pages now, so you should be able to browse to the device and find out why. (if should say things like line down if there is a faulty line or it is broken or if the username/password is wrong.

so finally if I can ping an ip address by number (ping 8.8.8.8) can I ping something by name (ping Google)

if I can reach the internet by number but not by name then it's a name resolution problem. (either DNS is broken, setup wrong, or being blocked)

to put this into context, here is a story:
I recently (few months ago) reconfigured a firewall at a customers site, the firewall protected a "guest" network, the company had bought a separate internet line especially for their guests to use. - except this ADSL line was a little flakey, and was failing often, leaving their visitors without internet access.

so, they asked, can we use our main company line and route out of that if and when the guest line goes down.

so I set it up one evening, and had a quick test, I could see everything was working.

the next day I say to them, I've configured it, not can you do some acceptance testing. they say it's not working they can't get online.

so I'm there, checking the routing, the lines, putting in different routes I can see that the line is up. I'm clearing NAT and PAT tables, watching them get rebuilt. I can see absolutely, it's working.

the firewall (which is also the DHCP server) if successfully registering machines, giving them ip settings. all the routing is working, all the NAT is working. I can see packets leaving the device. but can't really see very many coming back.

I'm checking out the router (main company router) that this guest firewall is plugged into and that's all working too...
the customer service manager is starting to get on my case saying "come on you need to get this done, we've only billed out half a day for the setup and design, this was supposed to be a quick test."

then it hits me, sure I'm doing all this technical stuff on the router that I once didn't even know was possible, but that shits not helping, something is really fundamentally broken, and I've started my trouble shooting at the wrong end!

then I go back to the basics that I've got here and instruct the customer: get a workstation launch command prompt.

type ping 8.8.8.8 you're getting replies? good, I'm not crazy it is working.

type ping Google, what's that, it times out with name resolution because now that it's using a different internet line, the original DNS (provided by ISP A) blocks traffic coming from ISPB?

Had I just gone right back to basics, from the very start, instead of getting caught up in packet tracing and inspection, that problem would have been fully resolved in a half hour rather than the half day it ended up taking.

what I'm saying is I suspect that the same may be true for you. you did all this complicated stuff checking out malware, restoring the system and all that jazz.
but it sounds like you skipped the fundamentals.

Hi Root! Good stuff! Thank you! I really need to research that kind of thing and be more knowledgeable. Not being able to restore to another time and the sfc scan showing errors that couldn't be fixed really bugged me. Then ISP saying it should connect. My laptop connected just fine. My thought was try back to factory settings. No cigars, so I figured hardware problems.PC was running great so I told the senior it was probably a network card. I need to go check the PC out again. Right now I'm feeling a little puny!
Thanks for your reply. I will print it. Some good information there!!
Gary!

Gary, have you looked in the Device Manager and see a flag (red or yellow) in the network adapter?

Back
Top Bottom