Suggestion to have a malware section!

i still think that if to meany people tell a noob how fix malware and they get confused
the OP will leave and not come back and this helps no one
I agree and I'm sure that won't happen here James. I'm sure there will be a plan that assures this does not create a problem here! I would hope that just because I suggest a OP run Adwcleaner or MBAM free that I'm not threatened with a ban. I've been there and done that already;more than once!
I'm glad you're hanging around old friend. Have you noticed, I started this thread. Now that's funny. It is now 6 pages long. I'm to windy, to friendly, and to much information. LOL
Celery has my back and I have his. LOL

@donetao

"We don't disclose the reasons for not excepting applications"

dang

that makes it sound like they have scouts looking at forums for helpers like a Baseball team or something lol

@celegorm

i'v seen this also but only on small security forums

:)

James

I would hope that just because I suggest a OP run Adwcleaner or MBAM free that I'm not threatened with a ban.

Worth atleast addressing this. Simply put, that won't happen. In my opinion (since it's not written down anywhere) we as a team here have 2 goals: Help people who need help and always continue to learn. Over time the best tools to use for a problem change and if we don't change with it and cling to the old ones we die. Perfect example is Norton Anti-virus. It used to be the king and now not so much. If we were to push that over anything else, would we be taken seriously? Likely not. On the other side of that, there's a good chance that someone else on the forum already uses the tool you're suggesting (like MBAM).

Now there will always be the "which is best" debates that always come down to personal opinion which happens everywhere and when kept civil can be a great way to learn about features of each. Assuming no one resorts to name-calling or anything bans will never come out of a which-tool-to-use debate. And again, the debates can get very passionate but so long as it stays civil we don't pass out bans. And this whole topic really is nothing. If you want to see how different people's views can be, wait until the next "are guns bad" conversation strikes up in the social lounge. Those are always pretty good debates and rarely end in a ban because of someone misbehaving.

Just as a high-level, if you don't want to be banned here there's a small, generalized list of things to keep in mind
  1. Don't insult other members
  2. Don't post vulger/overly offensive/racist posts
  3. Don't link to or suggest doing anything illegal (computer or non-computer related)
  4. Don't Spam

I have a feeling you're not going to do any of these anyways so you should be fine.

I have a feeling you're not going to do any of these anyways so you should be fine.
I sure I won't be doing any of those things. If I do please let me know because it won't be intentionally. Thanks for your reply. I think you have covered this topic thoroughly.
PS Norton sucks. It gives me grief here in my village all the time. It's a shame but they have really gone down hill fast!!

No worries there, unless it's something extremely bad we do tend to give out warnings first.

Hi! Good for you! I believe in giving a member a second chance or even a third chance.
I have seen forums give warnings and then a week of restricted rights. The next warning a longer period of restrictions, and if the member continues breaking the rules, a permanent ban. Bans are tough and I hate them. They cut you off from your friends. Some forums are to dang quick about pulling the trigger IMHO. Yes I have been banned and some times I probably deserved it. Other times I don't think so. The bigger forums are the worst. They have staff with big EGO's and they really don't care who they ban or step on. I have not seen this on this forum and that's why I'm hanging out here. I hope this forum grows, but not to fast!
I could name forums and big time staff that ban members for very little and no warnings. That's very sad! But what the hay, they have close to a million members so they don't care. You don't care do you MBAM forum and Advanced Set Up!:whistling::angel:

You should have been here in the early days. This is nothing compared to how rowdy it was. It's calmed down considerably over the years.

I am a believer in second chances. Heck, several of my staff would say that I am too soft too often, and I can be at times. I know everyone can have a bad day every now and then and I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt when I can. The exceptions to this is anything to do with spam or out and out maliciousness.

I am really looking forward to getting all of us together after the merger so we can help shape things together.

You should have been here in the early days. This is nothing compared to how rowdy it was. It's calmed down considerably over the years.

I remember those days over at TF. While it was one wild ride I don't know if I would want to go back there... no anti-spam controls, limited mod powers, yeah.

I got my first computer in 2004. I would have been pretty green at that time. Actually I'm still pretty green. This is a great forum IMHO!
Gary!

Hi James! Getting rich has nothing to do with this. I'm sorry, I do not understand the donations. In the beginning the malware training was a good thing, but IMHO it has grown into a bunch of conceited big EGO's, who think they are the only ones that can clean a infected PC because they spent a year in some malware college.

I agree, and from the quote above it sounds like the course is meant to be for those who want to help people on a voluntary basis, I understand it takes time, but helping someone and then trying to blag money out of them is a little distasteful...

As for being paid...

You ever heard that thing about musicians?
Where the guy getting married calls up a musicians union and "says how much for a band?"
the rep on the phone says "two grand"
then the guy is like "WTF?! 2k for music? who do you think you are?"
so the rep says, "Tell you what, call the plumbers union, ask then a price for six plumbers to do a call out 6 till midnight on a Saturday, we'll do it for half whatever they say!"

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I help a guy online, or if I help a friend at their house or via email I do it because I want to. Not because I want something.

And, without being conceited or big headed about it, my "day rate" for fixing IT stuff runs to more than 40 bucks or a home made biscuit!

Or to put it a nicer way, if I've ever helped a person when I'm at work, well that's the time to show appreciation by paying me.
If I spent my free time helping someone then the best thing to do is pay it forward, -take that information and help someone else, stick around here and add to the community.

Back
Top Bottom