Suggestion to have a malware section!

this is a good debate

this is hands on real world training

so have anyone looked at the Malware Removal University and see what they go through ?
hxxp://www.malwareremoval.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=61684

The Mission of the Malware Removal University is to train volunteers to assist in removing malware at the various established malware removal forums, thereby helping to expand the availability and quality of volunteer help, and the usability of the Internet

What this course is for

The intent of this course is to train individuals who desire to volunteer their services online as malware removal helpers at various malware removal forums.

What this course is not for

It's not for personal skill enhancement so you can help friends and family.

It's not a corporate training course to help you provide better help to your clients, start or support your own business, improve your opportunities for employment and/or enhance your eligibility for a promotion

It's not a social club where you can come and chat about malware with your friends.

It's not a way to pass time because you've got nothing better to do.

If you want to join for any reason other than to help in currently established forums, then this course is not for you. If you disregard this cautionary warning and instead misrepresent your reasons for applying for admission to MRU, rest assured that the truth will ultimately be discovered, which will result in your immediate removal

The course is a complete training program that is very extensive and time-consuming. It can also be very difficult and sometimes may even be frustrating. It is NOT self-paced, and cannot be completed at your leisure. We have a large waiting list of applicants, and therefore have neither the time nor resources to devote to any but dedicated and determined students.

This program does not require that you have previous experience, a background in computers or a technical background. It does require that you have both time and determination, and a willingness to work very hard and to follow instructions. MRU Graduates have come from a wide variety of backgrounds and occupations, including retirees, educators, physicians, laborers, lawyers, mechanics, bookkeepers, landscapers, and even a few computer "experts." The list goes on and on.

The training provided is free of charge. In return, graduate trainees are expected to allocate a portion of their time to helping others, via online community forums, to rid their computers of malware. They are also expected to spread the message of practicing safe and secure online computing.

The staff on the boards are all volunteers, willing to donate their time and expertise in the fight against malware and the continuing battle to keep the Internet safe and usable.

The purpose of the Malware Removal University is not, has never been, nor will it ever be to provide support to those who join the University for the purpose of setting up a malware removal help site. Our objectives do not include providing just enough help so that yet another poorly prepared student can open yet another substandard help site. If that sounds harsh, it is intended to be exactly that. We have neither the time, the inclination, nor the patience, to deal with prospective Short Term Students whose purposes are not in accordance with ours.

Our objective is to train malware fighters, of which there are few, to assist at existing help sites, of which there are already many. There should be no doubt in the mind of any potential student that the work and mission of this University is something we all take very seriously, and that those who attempt to use this University as a means to further their own private agendas will be promptly removed.

Applying for Admittance to the

Malware Removal University
hxxp://www.malwareremoval.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=61859#.U2K6PXZWJac

donetao i can understand about the small donations

but to do what some of them do at as meany forums as they work and dealing with people that have no clue i doin't think none of them are getting rich if you think about it

we both know my friend because we have worked together to help others and sometimes it is a pain because thay just do not understand the info we give no matter how hard we try

i'v seen people on craigslist forum hang out waiting for people infected then remotlely hook up to the peoples computer and fix it for them and make money but who knows what else has been done

:)

James

Hi James! Getting rich has nothing to do with this. I'm sorry, I do not understand the donations. In the beginning the malware training was a good thing, but IMHO it has grown into a bunch of conceited big EGO's, who think they are the only ones that can clean a infected PC because they spent a year in some malware college.
This is my last rant about this subject. Not here to cause trouble!!
These are my thoughts and do not represent the forums thoughts!
They all use the same tools. If you follow them, you will see that.

Last edited:
it's all good my friend lol

i understand what you are saying

i just see the big picture and who ever helps clean up the internet is ok in my book

the Malware/Viruses are out there for free why not the help

:)

James

As long as there is money to be made, there will be malware creators and malware programs to stop and remove them.
As you stated in one of your post."Use safe surfing habits and common sense" There is no reason you should allow your PC to get infected if you do those things.
I have never had a serious infection in all my years of PC use!
If I ever do, I'm well prepared to deal with it!
A few more replies(6) and you can post live links.
You're doing great James. I'm glad you joined the forum my friend. You fit in just fine!!

I accept donations of food and sigs from my neibors for my malware removal and prevention, but I do not ask for it. I never ask for money for my help. Too many people have helped me for me to charge. It just doesnt feel right.

As for a malware school, how about being obsessed with the subject? I am not a member of any removal school, and I wouldnt know how to run one, but I have been obsessed with malware removal and malware in general sense before I can remember trying.

I can agree with that, but I will take both. My issue is with those who are self-declared "experts" whose advice is worse than clicking the "top results" in a Google search. I have seen some who gave advice so bad that they destroyed entire installations of Windows over a simple adware infection.

I'm no expert on malware or viruses either one but I can help with problems I personally had and have resolved. I'm a hardware guy. However I just had a go round with one of those system hijackers. I figured out a way to kill it.

It's actually a browser link that is set up to remain persistent. That means you can't close that one browser window. But you can close any others you have open.
To start I ran:
Malwarebytes
ESET

Didn't find anything. That's when I took a closer look at the URL in the so called blue screen. The persistent parameter is in the link. But having that also means you can't edit the link itself.
Next step was to open the task manager. Go to processes. Kill ieexplorer.exe and explorer.exe. The box with all the BS about don't open another browser or restart your computer was gone. The so called blue screen was now just a blank white page. Windows promptly crashed as expected when I closed the window.

I then downloaded the latest version of combofix and grabbed adwcleaner. I ran adwcleaner and it took out YTD and Greentree productions. Have no clue what that was but I'll Google it later and find out. It also removed a sh** pot load of reg entries. Then ran malwarebytes and ESET again. Ran windows defender but it's dumber than dirt and didn't see anything wrong.
After all that I finally ran combofix.

I'm all good now and that took only one hour to track down and exterminate. Of that hour it only took five minutes to discover how to kill it. The rest was running all the clean up programs in deep scan mode.

That was twice in as many days and I found a way to kill the bastard. All by myself with a lot of practical experience, some deductive reasoning skills, and a lot of common sense. But that doesn't make me a self proclaimed expert. I'll be the first to admit that. (I do have the OS DVD's for all my systems just in case.)

You know the saying, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle em with bull shit" ? Those are the idiots you have to look out for.
I don't play that game. I know when to keep mouth shut and fingers off the keyboard.

Last edited:
Hi! I never turn down a home made peach cobbler or chocolate chip cookies. On one occasions a 12 pack of Budweiser. I get lots of hugs and big smiles. That's all I need!
I got a 4 layer cake one time. It was delicious and I gained 5 pounds. I too have been interested in malware removal ever sense I discovered there was malware. I have thought about trying a malware school,but so far I haven't been convinced I need to spend a year of my life in training!

I don't play that game. I know when to keep mouth shut and fingers off the keyboard.
That's one thing I'm still learning. Nice reply! I'm glad you Got-er-Done.
All good programs. Which one do you think got it done?? Or did you need all of them??

That's one thing I'm still learning. Nice reply! I'm glad you Got-er-Done.
All good programs. Which one do you think got it done?? Or did you need all of them??
It very much depends on the problem. How could you expect one or another or even all software suggested or otherwise to fix your problems?

From the looks of things, it was a slight mix. But that could have gone badly had it been a local infection, which it does not read as.

Personally I do charge for malware cleanup when I am doing it myself for someone but never when helping online. I have a basic flat fee of 40 bucks that covers everything from something miniscule to ridiculously infested. I usually don't bump it up even if I have to rescue files and reinstall the OS, but I am not adverse if someone wants to pay me more. I will charge more if hardware is involved but usually just the cost of the parts plus 10% or so. Again I will take anything over and above that is offered.

I am very thankful for the tools available for removing malware and I make use of many of them. I am also not afraid to dive in and dig manually. If it comes to that I pull out HJT and a site or two for me to double-check myself on analyzing the results.

On Techist we have a few who help out in the malware forum who are known and have proven themselves and their knowledge. Once upon a time the site had an assigned Security Team who all were professionals in real life and volunteered on the forum but that was a long time ago. Once the sites are merged there shouldn't be a problem getting you guys involved if you want to.

Back
Top Bottom