Shopping for a hardwire only SOHO router

setishock

Wizard of Wires
Would like to stay under $200.00usd. Major name brands only.
Must be gigabit and have 1 wan and 4 or 5 lan ports. Size of case is not an issue. No wireless! Google has not been friendly.

Not really. Even if you take the reviews with a large lump of salt, most of them including my beloved TP-Link, are just awful. I'm giving the one that has it's own DNS server a second look. It uses an internal pool of DNS addresses. I'm curious as to what purpose an internal DNS server would do to make the router and the network work better.
I'm going to check Microcenter and see what they have.

not sure what a good router is but it's not Belkin mine sucks

i use Opendns and there is a lot to choose from this tool makes it easy for you if you do not know how

DNS – or domain name system – is the protocol on the internet that turns human-comprehensible website names such as sordum.org into addresses understandable by machines.(machine-readable “IP addresses”) , In some cases, you can increase the browsing speed or improve your security by replacing the DNS provided by your provider

DNS Jumper
hxxp://www.sordum.org/7952/dns-jumper-v2-0/

it is also not that hard to put the DNS numbers in the router yourself

you can use Domain Name Speed Benchmark to find out what is the fastest DNS for you

hxxps://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

also it's a good idea to keep up on the firmware updates for routers so you are not vulnerable to attacks

:)

James

I know what DNS does. On the network here where I live I don't have access to the setup functions. They finally got somebody from the outside to come in and rebuild the network. Like a smart tech, the first thing he did was change all the passwords and disable remote management. I met him and did my usual pick your brain interview. I'm impressed.

I'm wanting to build a closed loop local network so some one doesn't get in over the wireless and gives me grief. The router I was on about has a built in DNS server that serves up DNS info in a closed loop environment. No internet access. I would imagine it's meant for a multiple subnet layout.

have a look around here there is a lot of good network tools here that may help you after you get a router

NirSoft freeware
hxxp://www.nirsoft.net/

:)

James

the router I currently have I was quite impressed with as it's got different VLANs which will enable you to properly segregate that network, (not just give machines different addresses).

if you want a decent router, that is genuinely powerful, that you can configure to properly segregate and secure.

I'd look into an older brand making sure that it can run openwrt - preferably with a easy installation method. - but that may limit your abilities to get any outside assistance depending on who will support what.

Have you look into Microtik? They have some decently priced equipment and I have heard good things about them. I have a coworker who uses one at home and he really likes it. He's been trying to get us to bring them into the office as well. They seem to have a lot of features and solid hardware from what I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom